Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:11 PM   #1

Default HDR Experiment

I bought Aurora HDR software for Christmas and have been playing around with it some. Like all of the other HDR software I've tried, it doesn't do what I always want it to do, but my initial impression is that it is capable of doing a nice, realistic HDR picture from a set of 5 bracketed shots. It can also do lousy over-the-top ones too. Here are 2 photos I did with it, both from sets I took this past summer.

I really like this one - a very spectacular sunset taken at a state park in Kearney, Nebraska.

I'm not so sure about this next one - think it's a bit too over-the-top for my tastes. Lighting was very difficult to begin with - the sky was almost as dramatic as this picture makes it appear. The main difference is that the hill and foreground were in shadow, the reason why I bracketed the scene. I used different settings in the program with this one as I wanted to keep the sky as dramatic as I remembered it (another day where I was fascinated with the play of light and how the scenery changed as the clouds passed over the sun). It seems to me that the settings rendered it too much over-the-top, but would be interested in other people's opinions. Taken in Badlands National Park, South Dakota.

I've been back from my trip for over 2 months and am still only half-way through editing the pictures! Anyway, let me know what you think about the pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links