Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Hello Everyone! :)

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to drop by and say hi!

It's been a long time, I know.

But, there was a reason.

Back in 2011 / 2012, I actually started wanting to volunteer and try to give something back. Originally I was thinking of going to the Christmas food banks and help sort donations or something like that. But then I got the idea that I could give back with photography.

I ended up taking the time to shoot my daughter and her cheer team and handing out the pictures and making a little video for them at the end of the year.

Not wanting to let them down, I really started to scale back my personal shooting, and really dropped off the map as far as visiting forums.

I managed to finish the project . . . and then . . . my wife and I ended up volunteering to try to get pictures of each and every gymnast in my daughters' gymnastics club for their yearbook.

So, I postponed getting back into personal shooting until I could get a handle on this project.

But . . . that project grew. Somewhere along the line my wife and I became the official photographers for the club. We also started laying out the yearbook ourselves. We worked on that project for four years.

Well . . . my daughters are not doing gymnastics anymore. One retired, both are now doing cheer.

Yes. We are working on a yearbook for our daughters' cheer club, but it is a smaller organization, so . . . I am finally seeing some potential of getting back into personal shooting.

I've dusted off my Pentax K100d.

And . . . I've actually found a couple of old Pentax ist DS cameras which I've given one each to my daughters.

And . . . my oldest daughter, now in high school, signed herself up for a photography course, and she's taking it next semester.

So, I wanted to drop by and say hi. And to say sorry for not being around. But hoping that I am still an invited member of this Pentaxian club!

Take care & Happy Shooting!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:09 AM   #2

Welcome back. Interesting gear, I had given a DS to my wife’s nephew and I noticed some spots on his images so I offered to clean the sensor, well... after I got my hands on the old DS I ended up giving him the K100D Super, it has dust removal and SR, better for him, and I have a camera that I really like using in the DS. My DS has less then 6000 shots while the K100 had over 14000 so, my oldest camera is my “newest” camera (lowest mileage).

It will be great to have you back, I have strayed away in recent years but I think I will be a regular again.

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Welcome back. Interesting gear, I had given a DS to my wifeís nephew and I noticed some spots on his images so I offered to clean the sensor, well... after I got my hands on the old DS I ended up giving him the K100D Super, it has dust removal and SR, better for him, and I have a camera that I really like using in the DS. My DS has less then 6000 shots while the K100 had over 14000 so, my oldest camera is my ďnewestĒ camera (lowest mileage).

It will be great to have you back, I have strayed away in recent years but I think I will be a regular again.
Thanks Ira!

Great to hear from you.

I didn't intend to stay away so long, but every year there was just one more project I wanted to take on . . . one thing lead to another . . . and . . .

Well . . . I'm looking forward to taking a breath and getting caught up on many things and in many ways! LOL.

And looking forward to actually playing around with different ideas for taking pictures. Something that I've been putting on the sidelines while I was shooting for other people.

RE: The Pentax K100d (Super) vs. the Pentax ist DS. Both are similar. Both are nice. Your nephew has a nice camera there.

It just occurred to me how old my Pentax K100d is. I got my Pentax K100d back in 2007? So . . . 11 years ago. And . . . there is still a lot of life left in it. Lots of pictures left to take.

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:00 AM   #4

Welcome back! I’ve been one of the missing for a couple of years, too. I’ve had a number of life changes in the past 5 years, Dan passed away, I retired last year and bought an RV, my first. There’s as big a learning curve for RVing as there is for photography, so I’ve been concentrating on learning the ropes there.

This summer I took my K100 with me and tried to use it for shooting the eclipse. I started out with the DA300 on it, but the lack of live view made it too hard to use a long lens when you can’t see anything through the viewfinder. I put the 300 on the K1 and the DFA 28-105 on the K100. There’s no screw focus on that lens so I didn’t have AF! I ended up not shooting with it. I should have had one of my older lenses out, but hadn’t thought about the fact the original K100 couldn’t use the SDM or DC focus mechanisms.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Welcome back! Iíve been one of the missing for a couple of years, too. Iíve had a number of life changes in the past 5 years, Dan passed away, I retired last year and bought an RV, my first. Thereís as big a learning curve for RVing as there is for photography, so Iíve been concentrating on learning the ropes there.
Thanks for the welcome back! Much appreciated!

I am sorry to hear about Dan. My condolences.

I am glad to see you are around and shooting!

Looking forward to seeing many more of your pictures.

There is one that you posted many, many years ago . . . that has really stuck with me. It is one of a store window, and you could make out a bit of the reflection.

It really stuck with me as a great play of different surfaces and their qualities, and something that I always had in the back of my mind to spend a little time playing around with.

But . . . I got really side tracked over the past few years. LOL.

But I still have it in the back of my mind to play around with that . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
This summer I took my K100 with me and tried to use it for shooting the eclipse. I started out with the DA300 on it, but the lack of live view made it too hard to use a long lens when you canít see anything through the viewfinder. I put the 300 on the K1 and the DFA 28-105 on the K100. Thereís no screw focus on that lens so I didnít have AF! I ended up not shooting with it. I should have had one of my older lenses out, but hadnít thought about the fact the original K100 couldnít use the SDM or DC focus mechanisms.
My K100d is for the most part working. It is suffering from a dirty e-dial. Something that I've fixed in the past by removing the top cover plate, and opening up the e-dial to be able to squirt a little electrical contact cleaner in their to clean things up. But I'm pushing out the clean-up until Summer, so I decided to dust off and sort out the 2 Pentax ist DS cameras in the house over the next month or so.

And . . . I still have my Pentax Q. I kept thinking I should sell it, but I just could never get myself to do it, seeing how fun the camera is. LOL. So I am planning to spend a bit of time with it this summer as well.

Looking forward to seeing more posts and pictures from you!

Take care!