Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:26 PM   #11

Love the photos!

I know what you mean about the 28mm lens, though I've never used one. I do have the 24mm f2.8 and find it's really difficult to focus, at least it was on the K-S1. In fact, it's the hardest lens I have to focus - a very short throw probably contributes to that. I thought it would be relatively easy to use on the crop sensor cameras as I could always shoot at something like f8 and hope that everything was in focus. It didn't work out that way at all!

I haven't actually tried to use it on the K1, not a bad idea. When I first bought it I had no idea what I was doing and no idea how to use a really wide angle lens. I used it for a while with the DS and the K5, and now I think I could make much better use of it with a full frame camera - might have to dig it out and play around with it. It's really sharp when it's in focus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Love the photos!

I know what you mean about the 28mm lens, though I've never used one. I do have the 24mm f2.8 and find it's really difficult to focus, at least it was on the K-S1. In fact, it's the hardest lens I have to focus - a very short throw probably contributes to that. I thought it would be relatively easy to use on the crop sensor cameras as I could always shoot at something like f8 and hope that everything was in focus. It didn't work out that way at all!
Now that you mention it, shooting f8 and hoping everything is in focus . . . reminds me that I wanted to learn and try zone focusing / hyperfocal distance.

http://shooterfiles.com/2016/02/how-...otography-101/

EDIT: Adding a link to an article I found on Hyperfocal Distance that I want to read this weekend. Has a chart for Full Frame, not sure how that applies to cropped. https://photographylife.com/landscap...ance-explained

It is something that I keep reading about, but never really sat down and tried it.

I was thinking something like the 28mm f/2.8 (or even better something like the 24mm f/2.8 you have) on a cropped body would be great to try something out like this.

Hummm . . . ok. I know what I'm reading up this weekend! LOL.

Quote:
I haven't actually tried to use it on the K1, not a bad idea. When I first bought it I had no idea what I was doing and no idea how to use a really wide angle lens. I used it for a while with the DS and the K5, and now I think I could make much better use of it with a full frame camera - might have to dig it out and play around with it. It's really sharp when it's in focus.
+1

Let us know how it goes!

With that wide an angle of view, it could make for some impactful images . . . and with all the MP in the K-1, it could be a real treat!

Take care,

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jan 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:59 AM   #13

Very cool article! I've known the principles of hyperfocal focusing for a long time, but the article went into better details on some of the aspects of the subject. I've never been all that comfortable putting the principles into practice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:46 AM   #14

We have gone from -20C with a -35C windchill to +16C with rain and high winds so, not much outdoor photography this week! Looking forward to trying an XR Rikenon 70-150mm f3.5 zoom on the DS when weather permits. It may prove too difficult to accurately focus. Great shots of the slide.

Olympus E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Very cool article! I've known the principles of hyperfocal focusing for a long time, but the article went into better details on some of the aspects of the subject. I've never been all that comfortable putting the principles into practice.
Mtngal,

I got caught up cleaning up around the house this weekend, but I managed to read through the 2 articles.

I have to admit that I was very vague at my understanding of hyperfocal distance and focusing.

I really started reading about it more when I started looking into the Ricoh GR(II). It seems like there are a few people that shoot that way with their Ricoh GR(II).

I like how the article mentions an example of how 0.03mm is arrived at for a reasonable circle of confusion. (Person with 20/20 vision, looking at an 8x10 print about 10" away from their eyes.) That makes sense.

I tried to run the numbers through the formula given but could not see how to make things work.

The test values I was using was 28mm focal length, f/8, 0.03mm circle of confusion.

But . . . when typing those values into this on-line depth of field, I get the same values as the chart.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

10.8 ft. for 28mm focal length, f/8, and it assumes 0.03 COC.

But that was calculated for a full frame camera.

I switched the camera body over to cropped and . . . the hyperfocal distance jumped up from 10.8 ft to 16.2 ft. To get it back down around 10.8 ft, I had to up the aperture setting on the 28mm lens to f/12.7.

In the article, the writer states that the hyperfocal length does not change because of format size, but on this calculator it does. What I do notice is that when I change to a cropped sensor size format, the circle of confusion value changes from 0.03mm to 0.02mm. Is this the cause? Is that change because you ended up expanding the cropped size capture more to get to an 8x10 final print?

LOL.

So . . ., yes, I guess for cropped sensor you'd want to be at f/11 or a bit more with a 28mm lens to get everything ~5-6 ft out to infinity in focus, but on a full frame you can be down around f8 with that same 28mm lens.

I'm thinking of dialing in f/11 on my manual focus 28mm lens, dial in about 10.5 ft and then set ISO to auto and see how far I get not focusing, but keeping my eye on keeping anything I want in focus to at least 6-7 feet away? And then just shoot and see how it turns out.

Of course, I brought my camera to work today, but it's so cold, I'm thinking I am not going out at lunch. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
We have gone from -20C with a -35C windchill to +16C with rain and high winds so, not much outdoor photography this week! Looking forward to trying an XR Rikenon 70-150mm f3.5 zoom on the DS when weather permits. It may prove too difficult to accurately focus. Great shots of the slide.
Ira,

It was a nice warm weekend her in Milton, but . . . I ended up spending most of my weekend cleaning up around the house.

I have a Pentax-A 70-210mm f/4 lens. I did try it out, but it has been so long since I had it out that I can't remember much about it.

Have you gotten the split prism focus screen yet?

I'd image that would go a long way to helping use the longer lenses?

Take care!

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:08 AM   #16

The screen is coming from China so I don’t expect to see it before late February. Meanwhile I do get nice images when I manage to get the focus right. It is reasonably sharp.

Olympus E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:41 AM   #17

Ok. It's cold here. LOL. Too cold for my blood.

So . . . a week or so ago there was a warm day, so I hopped out with my Pentax ist DS with 28mm f/2.8 prime and tried lining up the orange hyperfocal markers on the lens.

It was a misty day so a lot less light, so I was probably up around ISO 3200, so pixel peeping the pictures, it's hard to see how close or off focus was on objects ~5-10 feet away.

I actually took a shot at f/8 as well as f/11.

After I started looking at the shots, I started thinking, maybe I should have done the hyperfocal distance thing at f/8 and f/11, but also then tried manually focusing shots at both f/8 and f/11 to see how they compared to the hyperfocal shots.

I am curious and want to try this out on a sunny day (so I'm not so cold, but also so I can lower the ISO for this test.)

Having gone through this exercise, I get the impression that hyperfocal shooting should be easier on a full frame camera.

I'm going to have to try this out on my full frame camera.

What is everyone's thoughts / experience?

Take care,

Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:02 PM   #18

Thanks for the great photos. Enjoyed them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:07 PM   #19

@Pastorbbc

Thanks for looking! Comments greatly appreciated!

I'll see you around!

Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:06 AM   #20

RE: Zone Focusing on Pentax ist DS

Ok. I had another think about Zone Focusing on my Pentax ist DS.

I remembered I had a superzoom that went to 18mm. A Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3.

And it has a distance scale on it with a marking for 10 ft.

So I went to the depth of field calculator and played around with the settings until I was able to get a hyperfocal distance of about 10 ft.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

And it works out to be f/5.6. (The hyperfocal distance works out to be 9.45 ft.)

I think f/5.6 is more doable for me.

So I have a set up to try out zone focusing!

18mm, f/5.6, pre-focused to 10 ft.

So everything from about 5.1 ft to infinity should be in relative focus.

And the weather here is getting nice!

The next lunch I'm not that busy, I'm headed out to try this out!