Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Default SMC 24mm f2.8 and K1

I bought my 24 f2.8 lens right after my then boyfriend gave me a Pentax ME, back in 1980-81 timeframe. At the time I knew very little about photography, had no idea how to make use of a wide angle lens, and do not naturally see things that way. I used the lens a couple of times and put it away, dragging it around as I moved from place to place.

Then I got into digital photography and learned a bit more how to use such a lens effectively. I still don't really think in wide-angle terms (more of a detail person), but I've gotten better about using one more effectively.

I haven't used the 24 much as it has a short throw and I found it difficult to focus with the K-S1. But since the recent conversation here about manual wide angle lenses, I decided to pull my now old lens out and play with it a bit.

I'm really impressed with the lens, it's a much better lens than I had realized before. I had expected to have edge distortion with the K1, but found there's very little.

Here's some photos I've taken with it. I'm no good at the scientific type of comparison shots, so I didn't take any. With one exception they are all full frame photos, resized down to fit here. All have been processed in my usual way, with 2 of them having the white balance changed (the camera did not handle the light at all well on auto).

Full frame:

Crop of the same photo. The crop I'm posting here has been slightly downsized by zenfolio - the 100% crop is larger than I had realized so I won't post it here.

The link to the 100% crop is: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2786527174.jpg

Some other miscellaneous shots: A view from my upstairs window. There's some light reflection from the glass, and I used a pretty small aperture because the tree on the right is very close to the house, compared to the far ridge glimpsed in the distance with the sun on it, which is over a mile away.

A big aperture:

The last 2 were taken near Phoenix.

I really like this lens, it's far better than I had realized when I first got it. I found it easier to focus with the K1 than I had in the past with the KS1. The edges for such a wide lens impressed me. It's earned a place in my camera bag, at least for a while, and it was fun to use a manual lens again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:30 AM   #2

+1

Thanks for the post.

I have been tempted to look for a 24mm, mainly because on a cropped sensor it works out to be about 35mm equivalent, which . . . I have been really surprised that that is the focal length I seem to gravitate towards a lot with the 28-75mm lens I have on my full frame camera.

The shots do look sharp!

RE: K-1 focusing versus K-S1.

When I got my Nikon D750 (full frame), I remembered reading that because of the bigger viewfinder it was easier to focus manually. So I grabbed a 50mm lens and tried to manual focus on both my cropped and full frame camera and . . . I found it was easier to focus on the full frame.

How does it compare to one of your newer lenses?

IQ-wise or ease of manual focusing?

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:54 AM   #3

I really struggled with the lens on the K-S1, it doesn't have the pentaprism. And my eyesight isn't the greatest any more (sigh!). But I found with the K1 I didn't have much of an issue.

As a prime, it's sharper than the 28-105 I've been using so much. I've never tried to compare it to any of my other wide angle primes, and I really should compare it on the K1 with the DA15 in crop mode - the two are similar focal ranges. Because I struggled so much with it and the K-S1, I haven't used it since and it wasn't until you started the thread about the 28 f2.8 that I decided to pull it out and discovered that it's a viable alternative with the K1, a very nice one, too. It's heavier than the DA15, but not that much bigger and it's built like a tank.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:13 AM   #4

Good point about the Pentax K-S1 with a pentamirror.

Besides my back e-dial not working properly on my Pentax K100d (Which I am going to open up the K100d to clean out that e-dial this summer. Third time doing this.) one of the reasons I ended up going backwards and picking up a Pentax ist DS was to try out the pentaprism viewfinder.

Between the K100d and the ist DS, I do find it easier to focus on the ist DS.

That was one of the things I tested out when I started playing with these old manual focus lenses.

Now that you have the K-P . . . have you tried the 24mm or your DA15 on the K-P?

Your K-P has a pentaprism and 24MP . . . it may be a good match?

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:36 PM   #5

I haven't tried it on the KP, but I suspect I might do OK with it. It was pouring today and I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I was in the big city, messing about with the KP and DFA 100 macro - it's been ages since I've tried to shoot macro of any sort, much less hand-held and I'm definitely out of practice! But it was the one weather sealed I had with me, the rest were small limiteds. It's supposed to be equally wet tomorrow, maybe I'll do some inside shooting.