Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:42 PM   #1

Default walk around lens

Dear all, I've been away for a while. Moved back to the States 8 years ago and since then haven't seemed to find time to post in the forum. Anyway, I still take pictures and my question is this. My wife and I just took a trip to northern Michigan (Sleeping Bear Dunes, Potoski, Mackinaw Island, and Traverse City) I have been a lot of places in the world and this is definitely up there in the beauty department. Anyway, I was traveling with two lenses, kit lens and a Sigma 100-300. They cover most of the photos I want to take. But in switching lenses there were a couple of times I lost a shot. What walk around lenses do you use? The picture below was taken in Potoski and is interesting because of the halo around the sun. Don't remember ever seeing it before like that. Pretty much right out of the camera with a little cropping. K-50 kit lens.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lyrics51; Jul 8, 2018 at 8:49 PM.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:31 PM   #2

Hiya, welcome back and nice shot!
I've carried the k-5 for 7 years and standard companion was the sigma f2.8 17-50. Often brought the da 10-17mm fish eye as secondary. Never really considered one of those 17-250 or even -300 travel lenses, preferred the quality and speed of that sigma. Can't deny their versatility though! If you're not a pixel-peeper or low-light / night shooter it might be worth considering those.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I like the big zooms in principle, but they are heavy and not always the clearest. Has anyone used the 18 to 135?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics51 View Post
Thanks for the input. I like the big zooms in principle, but they are heavy and not always the clearest. Has anyone used the 18 to 135?
I am in ,the process of buying an 18-135 from a friend of mine but I donít have it yet. Her photographs with that lens on a K3 were very good so I have high hopes.
FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:07 PM   #5

G'day L51

I think that the description for a 'walk-around-lens' is one that varies with each of us as to our photo style. Some of us are close-in [therefore a w/a lens suits], while others are off-in-the-distance types therfore a long lens suits better

For myself, I'm in the latter camp so my every-day stuff is the 12x zoom style where I can grab something specific over the road / valley / a flower in a group of flowers type of thing

Also, for me the issue of size & weight is critical [travelling in a motorhome for most of the year] so the choice has morphed away from SLRs to fixed lens superzooms ... with the Panny FZ cameras suiting me best. To have a walk-around lens of 24-600mm[ film camera equiv] x F2,8 even at 600mm is quite remarkable

Hope this helps a bit
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:05 PM   #6

How does the FZ do in resolution and shutter lag? I remember those used to be issues with those types of camera's in the past. Also is there anything else you miss when not using a DSLR?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:21 PM   #7

G'day mate

I'm running the FZ-200, now the FZ-300 is current. Shutter lag as such is non existent - however sometimes focus lag is an issue, esp when I am trying for birds-in-flight. However with the FZ set to continuous x 5,5fps x AFC I can get about a 90% in-focus rate. I can go faster than this [up to 60fps] via AFS mode, but I don't often go this fast. I also well realise that lens sharpness vs zoom is a compromise, and that the sharpness will never equal a full-frame SLR & damn-good lens [as we see here via Rocky's great images], but for a $500 camera package, I recon it can't be beaten

There are so many in-camera exposure & colour options I hardly know what to do with them all but it's a great walk-around camera and goes almost everywhere

Hope this helps
Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Jul 12, 2018 at 6:30 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:14 AM   #8

G'day L51

Today I've shot some comparison images and posted them into a new thread, so as not to divert your thread

They're in the General Discussion thread ... as "Walk-around camera - lens performance test"
Phil
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:48 PM   #9

Thanks, Ozzie