Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:57 AM   #1

Default Da 10-17mm modified to function as circular fish-eye on the K-1

So.. I walked up to a friend with a bold request. If he would shave off the fixed lens hood on the da 10-17 fish eye. Gotta give member Tacticdesigns props for mentioning the idea; I later found a video on youtube explaining the process in detail. The idea behind the modification is to make it a circular fish-eye when mounted on a full frame body (still a bit cropped). 360 panoramas are part of my hobby and this mod would drastically reduce the amount of shots and total time needed for a 360 though at the expense of resolution. It now requires only a row of 4 vertical shots to cover the 360 sphere. The fact that itís a zoom lens means one can zoom in right to the point where the circle touches the top and bottom of the frame and so get as much resolution back. Of course one can continue to zoom in to 15mm and have the full frame fish eye. Itís great to have all those options! If anything, the only downside is the slow max aperture which doesn't make it ideal for starry sky panoramas.

Itís tedious task, but this guy is one of the most skilled and talented mechanical workers I know. Props to him for taking it on.

The result

image circle at 10mm before the mod

image circle at 10mm after the mod. A few edges remain, but for panoramas the mod is sufficient.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:29 AM   #2

Very interesting mod! How does it work in the "real world" - have you tried it out yet for a 360? I'm not so much interested in doing it (I am now shooting with a KP as well as K1) but would be interested in seeing some of your results.

I may or may not be able to check in right away, this summer I don't have all that much cell service and less internet. But I'll make it back here eventually.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:31 AM   #3

Yes it works quite well with actual 360 panoramas but not so well in confined spaces (can’t stitch my shower room but the living room works). I intend to use it outdoor much more than indoor so this isn’t really a problem for me.

Here are a few 360s I shot with the mod:

https://www.360cities.net/image/burgermester-visserpark

https://www.360cities.net/image/burg...r-visserpark-2

in the second pano some crushing of the stitch lines happens at the very top. I’ve seen this in every pano with detail overhead like ceilings / clouds / tree canopies. It might help to either flip the camera on the mount (get rid of that last tiny bit of lens hood) or tilt it up slightly. Losing some angle / information at the bottom doesn’t matter much as there’s a tripod there anyway. If shooting hand held with a circular lens it’s recommended to vary the tilt angle slightly per shot so this would probably take care of the issue as well.
In all I’m really happy with the mod. Before I used the lens as ultra wide on the k-5 but now I’ve got the irix 15mm on the k-1 for that.. which also makes me happy.

Have a great time where you are!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:53 PM   #4

That is just way too cool! I love it!!!

And the lens works quite well, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote