Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:17 PM   #1

Default Dreded Aperture block failure

My K30 is starting to show the aperture block failure and I am getting dark frames for the first few shots then the exposure starts to lighten up. Good thing I installed a hacked firmware to fake the K30 camera into thinking it's a K50, that let me use the new PLM lens. The PLM dosen't use the aperture block but changes aperture electronically. Anyone have a K3 to sell???

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Default Wouldn't Recommend a K3

I bought a K3ii and the 55-300 PLM lens from B&H in May. Huge disappointment. I own about 10 Pentax lenses-all had to be micro adjusted-still not satisfied with results-terrible sharpness-even with the DA 100 2.8 Macro. My k5iis is far superior-but the new lens won't work with this body. I tried to return the entire kit within the 30 day window with B & H and they refused the lens. If they posted that disclaimer prior to sales they would have a shelf full of these lenses. Didn't plan on a science experiment.

Last edited by DMJJR; Oct 11, 2018 at 11:50 AM.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:41 PM   #3

There was a hack posted in the Pentax forum to allow the K30 to work with the PLM KAF4 lens, I didn't see a hack for the K5. I am quite satisfied with the 55-300 PLM, faster and sharper than the old 55-300 and that was quite good IMO

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DA PLM 55-300, DA 18-135, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:44 PM   #4

Default Update

Happy to hear yours is working good. Went to a Arizona Fall Baseball League game today. Used the K3ii & PLM-took about 75 shots. Every single shot had to be corrected-unsharp mask or more extensive sharpening.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Happy to hear yours is working good. Went to a Arizona Fall Baseball League game today. Used the K3ii & PLM-took about 75 shots. Every single shot had to be corrected-unsharp mask or more extensive sharpening.
Sounds like your K3ii is defective in some way.

For those with the PLM, is it optically better than the original 55-300? Or about the same? The technology of it intrigues me, but I donít think I would use it enough to justify the cost, unless it was a significant change. It could pair nicely with the KP.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Sounds like your K3ii is defective in some way.

For those with the PLM, is it optically better than the original 55-300? Or about the same? The technology of it intrigues me, but I donít think I would use it enough to justify the cost, unless it was a significant change. It could pair nicely with the KP.

I see a slight improvement in sharpness over my old 55-300 and I was quite happy with with that one for it's sharpness. Focus is much faster too.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:56 PM   #7

Default Da plm 55-300

I'm sure you have read my previous post-I think you have the 300 F4 which is far superior-if you have the older version of the DA 55-300 I wouldn't waste the $$. Just my humble opinion. With my K3II have the focus micro adjustment at +7. Used unsharp mask and sharpness adjustment just to have it equal to my K5IIs. I believe you also own the KP-I recently read that the sensor in the KP is more sensitive than the K3II which is probably why it is holding it's selling price. Should have bought that body.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
I'm sure you have read my previous post-I think you have the 300 F4 which is far superior-if you have the older version of the DA 55-300 I wouldn't waste the $$. Just my humble opinion. With my K3II have the focus micro adjustment at +7. Used unsharp mask and sharpness adjustment just to have it equal to my K5IIs. I believe you also own the KP-I recently read that the sensor in the KP is more sensitive than the K3II which is probably why it is holding it's selling price. Should have bought that body.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the PLM and your K3ii, I don't have a 300 prime wish I did. I didn't have to do a focus adjustment for the PLM on my K30. Sounds like you have a problem with your K3ii or maybe both