Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:15 AM   #1
Ram

I have a Pentax SLR with two lenses, and I'd like to buy a new DSLR.

After searching a while it looks to me that I have to chose between *istD and Nikon 70. I have to say that I preferthe *istD first beacase the lenses can be used and second there are may improvments in the *istD digital camera.

Can anyone help me to make my decision?

Is there a new *istD coming soon that I should wait?

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:19 PM   #2
Administrator

There was some news out of Asia that Pentax will be introducing another less expensive dSLR camera to compete with Canon and Nikon. No other details except that it would be Fall 2004 and sell for 100,000 yen = $899 USD.

We expect an announcement about this sometime between now and the Photokina show in Germany in September when many new cameras will be announced for the 2004 Fall and holiday season.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 2:20 AM   #3
Ram

Thanks

Can you also help me with making the desision which camera to buy?

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Administrator

All we can do is review them and then give you our honest opinion of how they worked for us. You need to look at the sample images and read all the reviews that you can find and then make your purchase decision. We all tend to get excited about something due to marketing hype and glowing specifications. The best thing to do is wait until other people have bought it and used it and discovered its strong and weak points. Those folks that have to be the first to own something new often experience buyer's remorse later...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:24 AM   #5

Actually, there is new information now on upcoming DSLRs from Pentax, see http://www.dpreview.com/news/0406/04...tax900dslr.aspand www.pentaxusa.com

Arne
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:47 AM   #6

for the next slr pentax who knows, except that it will be cheaper, but probably some of plusses ofistd D will be missing , but which ??

which are your lenses ? You must be aware of the 1.5 factor that converts your old 50 mm lenses in a short tele of 75 mm (with the same aperture (that is good for tele !), but your wide angle as my beloved 24 mm will become a nobody 35 mm ..

the kit 18-35 mm is not so good (a littlee soft and not so accurate, buta real bargain in price

nevertheless, I should have chosen the more expensive16-45mm (a little difficult to get?)

for me , who belongs old lenses since 20 years and more , ist D arrival was a rare opportunity that the lenses get out shelves where they laid since numerical era .. (I have even bought one second hand autofocus 28-200 )

I must sayI am oversatisfied with ist D, it has the look and feel of my old pentax bodies with the modern charm of numeric .A real dream, if you can put your fingers on it, you will immediately know !

a lot of numeric advantages : high iso with low noises, speed, old pentax lenses m, ka and fa very usable

you must be aware nevertheless, that pentax is no more at that moment such a famous slr maker : canon and nikon have taken the lead, so ist D is a very good body, butpriced a littletoo high.

anyway, I do not regret my choice ! even if I do think that nikon d70 is a technical goof choice, it does not give the same feelings and for me fun is also in hands ...

from Paris

lcopernic is offline   Reply With Quote