Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:22 AM   #1

How difficult is it to use my old M series and other early K-mount (non-A) Ricoh lenses on a *istD? I read the description in an earlier post and it sound a lot like stop down metering in older Spotmatics (or new reflex Bessamatics for that matter).

See if I have this right??:

1 - Mount lens on standard K-mounting flange.

2 - Set the camera to M and make some other preliminary settings.

3 - Set the aperture on the lens.

4 - Push a green button and the lenses stops down and the exposure is set correctly (centre weighted averaging only).

5 - If the lighting changes, or you change aperture, push the green button again.

6 - When you take the exposure the lens will stop down to the aperture you have set.

Is that it, because if it is I want one? I currently own

a 28mm f2.8 Rikenon XR,

a 135mm f2.8Rikenon XR,

a 50mm f1.7 Pentax SMC-M,

a 28-80mm f3.5/4.5 Takumar-A zoom (not good but adequate for most uses) and

a 500mm f8 Samyang mirror lens with T-mount for Pentax-K.

All I would need is a wider lens and over time I could pick up the autofocus lenses to finish it off.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:30 PM   #2

Ira,
Your description of using a non-A lens is correct. You need the firmware update, but most cameras sold now have at least the 1.1 version already installed. The process is not perfect, but does allow some pretty nice lenses to be used with the *ist D. If you take enough shots with a non-A lens the whole thing becomes second nature.

The early Ricoh lenses should not be a problem either. However, I have heard some stories about the auto aperature pin on later Ricohs getting stuck in the opening on the mount where the autofocus motor engages a lens. This pin can be removed if you do not want to mount the lens on a Ricoh body anymore.

The Pentax DA 16-45 is a great lens and would make a good compliment to your set. Only problem with it is that it is hard to find in stock. The *ist D is a very nice camera and I highly recommend it.

Perry.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:07 PM   #3

Perry

Thanks for the reply, I guess I wasn't clear about the Ricoh lenses the lens mechanicals are virtually identical to the Pentax lenses, right down to the "shield" adjacent to the pin. The 135 has an 8 blade aperture and does very nice out-of-focus highlights.

This sounds a lot like a digital version of the old screw mount Ricohs, Chinons and Pentax Spotmatics, a) focus and compose,b) push the stop down lever, c) set the exposure, d) take the picture, e) wind the film and do it again.

One more question, is there any form of focus aid with the manual focus, such as a beep or a focus confirmation light, or do you have to depend upon the ground glass? My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Ira
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:33 PM   #4

"One more question, is there any form of focus aid with the manual focus, such as a beep or a focus confirmation light, or do you have to depend upon the ground glass? My eyes aren't what they used to be."

Yes, there is an octagon symbol in the veiwfinder that lights when the lens is in focus. I believe there is also a beep. There is no spilt ring or other focus aids but the viewfinder is pretty bright and sometimes I just go by what I see.

I have several manual focus lenses and have done quite a lot of work with bellows. With the bellows and screw mount lenses on a K-adaptor the camera cannot hold the diaphram open. When you stop down the viewfinder gets dim. So to focus you have to open the aperture to see. You then have to remember to close it down before you take the image. Of course this is really easy to forget and you quickly learn the main advantage of digital: instant feedback!

Let me know if you need anyhting else,

Perry.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:19 PM   #5

Thanks Perry
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6

OK... Now can someone tell me what the procedure would be for using non-A lenses with an *ist DS? The DS has no 'green button' to press.

Thanks,
Eugene R.

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
How difficult is it to use my old M series and other early K-mount (non-A) Ricoh lenses on a *istD? I read the description in an earlier post and it sound a lot like stop down metering in older Spotmatics (or new reflex Bessamatics for that matter).

See if I have this right??:

1 - Mount lens on standard K-mounting flange.

2 - Set the camera to M and make some other preliminary settings.

3 - Set the aperture on the lens.

4 - Push a green button and the lenses stops down and the exposure is set correctly (centre weighted averaging only).

5 - If the lighting changes, or you change aperture, push the green button again.

6 - When you take the exposure the lens will stop down to the aperture you have set.
eugenesr is offline   Reply With Quote