Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:45 PM   #1

I have been a Pentax K 1000 owner for over 20 years as mostly an enthusiast and semi pro. I have been use to operating everything manually and have various pentax and other k mount lenses. Should I remain with pentax when I go to digital SLR to continue to use my current lenses or jump ship to Canon or Nikon?

rob j
rob j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 1:07 PM   #2

Hi rob j
If you have Pentax lenses buy the Pentax *ist D it's a great little camera! Make sure you get the battery grip as well. There are quite a few deals to be had at the moment - if you live in the UK! Buy the camera with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens and if you have the funds - a Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Good luck -- voicebox:-)
voicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:01 PM   #3

voicebox wrote:
Quote:
Hi rob j
If you have Pentax lenses buy the Pentax *ist D it's a great little camera! Make sure you get the battery grip as well. There are quite a few deals to be had at the moment - if you live in the UK! Buy the camera with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens and if you have the funds - a Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Good luck -- voicebox:-)
Thanks for the info on the Tamron and Sigma lenses. I have been looking at both of them, although the Sigma is fairly expensive. I'm still torn between going with the *ist D since all of my lenses are manual anyway. I would still have to buy new AF lenses to take full advantage of the *istD's features. plus with Canon coming out with the new EOS 20 D, its going to be a hard decision!

rob j
rob j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:42 AM   #4

Being able to use the manual lenses is a plus, but if you are going to go for a digital SLR you lose so much by not going with a set of lenses that allow for full data exchange with the camera. I really like being able to look at files for any image and see information other than exposure and mode used, such as lens & focal length used, and it's very precise. If I have my 70-200 f4L mounted I'm even given exact focal length information such as 151mm if that's where I set it! To be able to go back and see all your settings is a great learning tool
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote