Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:01 AM   #11

Steve when do you think your conclusions will go up?
I have been quietly wating and it almost three week since the first look. If its going to be a while longer then could you change the first look conclusion to reflect the new time scale.
ngap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:59 PM   #12

Thanks for the update Steve
ngap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:39 PM   #13
Administrator

Sorry, the *ist DS review got delayed waiting on a replacement camera and lens. We saw some quirky AF things with the one we had and Pentax wanted it and the lens back so they could duplicate the problem and decide if it was a mechanical problem. We just got the replacement but of course now I am in the middle of the Minolta 7D, Canon 1Ds Mk II and Olympus E-300 reviews -- and of course we are taking a little holiday break like everyone else this week. Too many cameras - too little time!

Happy Holidays to all our readers :-)
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:42 PM   #14
Administrator

arnelie wrote:
Quote:
I am also very excited by the DS, since I have a collection of nice Pentax K og FA lenses. One thing I have wondered about the DS specifications:
  • why is the slowest ISO speed ISO 200? Why not ISO 100, or even 80 or 50? What is it with the CCD that restricts to this relative high number?
Anybody who have any suggestions?
[/*]

It's not a problem really - the Nikon D100 has done very well with a minimum ISO of 200. It's a matter of sensor and hardware combination. And remember that the *ist DS is aimed at the consumer market so a higher base ISO means better flash and low light coverage for the masses of newbie users it is intended for.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 8:37 PM   #15

Hi everybody,

I just got my istDS and it's absolut one of the finest cameras (in that price range) out there. My coworker has the D70 and I was able to play a bit with it before making my decission to get the Pentax, maintly because of the size. After my first two days and 300 pictures later I have nothing negativ to say about it. Sharpness in default position is great, and the noise level up to 800 ISO is virtually not noticable. I took lots of pics atour Varsity Basket ball game yesterday where I had to go up to 3200 ISO and the noise of cause was pretty much noticable but using Noise Ninja 2.0 I got rid of it quite good. Anyway it is much better than expected from a such high ISO setting, but I needed fast shutter times because of zooming in and a very fast game. I never was able to capture those before with my Fuji S7000, even on ISO 800 which had pretty much the same noise level as the Pentax at 3200. Also, no shutter lag whatsoever which makes it perfect for sports but that's probably the same on all DSLR's. I ordered the first prints from http://www.ofoto.com in 6x4 and 10x8 to see how good the camera realy is because almost all cameras look decent on a screen. Also, the outdoor shots where taken without changing the exposure.

Here are a couple of pics, let me know if I'm totally of since it realy is my first DSLR.

alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:17 AM   #16

New here...Looked at the istDs this weekend and was very impressed. I will probably buy one soon.
Does anyone know if the camera has these features:
Mirror lock-up
Eyepiece shutter
Depth-of-field preview?
kwatson51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:50 AM   #17

Well, I don't want to alarm anyone, but I too am getting flash photos that are way overexposed. I took about 40 pictures at a New Year's Eve party with flash and I'd say that 80% were overexposed. I tried playing with the exposure compensation and the flash values, but I couldn't seem to fix it - either the photos were too dark or too overexposed - no happy medium!

I hope this is a firmware issue, because I *really* want to like this camera. I *love* the size compared to the Canon 20D (my alternate choice). I also like the intuitive menu system/controls on the Pentax very much.

Here is a favorite pic I took (so far):

Attached Images

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:56 AM   #18

My great trouble is to choose between *ist DS and Nikon D70 (or 300D Canon, for remaining in the same price). A friend of mine bought just Yesterday a *ist DS. I was made the same but in the shop it was the only one.

We downloaded the images on PC andI found that the sharpness was not good at all. Images are so soft that seems to be always shot with a wrong focus. Is it a wrong setting of the camera or is a problem with the DS?

(If you compare all the images found on the web between Nikon D70 and Pentax ist DS they seems there is a problem with the focus or with the sharpness.)

Does anyone knows?

thanks

dAle
dale68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:45 PM   #19

I'm also getting really mixed results with the built in flash. Sometimes the shot is to dark at others it's overexposed. Anyone have any advise? Also i just want to mention that the flash creates a dark shadow at the bottom of the photo when using the 16-45mm lens at the widest setting.
Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:19 PM   #20

Hey Steve,

I just read you full review of the *ist DS.

What a great review b.t.w. Sounds like the camera did very well.

How would you compare the *ist DS to the Nikon D70 and Canon 300D Rebel?

Thanks,

Info_Man

Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote