Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1
Administrator

I have just posted the *ist DS First Look along with a starter set of sample images. So far I am quite impressed with this camera, it's small and lightweight and takes great pictures. Hopefully I will get the conclusion and more samplesposted in abouta week. $999 with a lens - Look out Canon and Nikon!

01/18/2005: Well, it took a lot longer than expected but we have finally posted the FULL *ist DS review, it's online now along with more sample photos. The short conclusion is that the *ist DS is a winner and we're already seeing the price down around $850 with the lens!

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:51 AM   #2

Hi Steve, and thanks for this first review.

I'm new to this forum and I'm interested in this DSLR. HoweverI find that the sample pictures look a little disappointing when it comes to details and digital noise. It seems to perform quite wellcompared tothe D70 but far behind Digital Rebel and all Canon cameras.

Is it just softness, is it because some of the pictures are a bit underexposed or anything else ? What do you think about it ?
CMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:55 AM   #3

Hi!

Cameralooks promising I have to say.Probably it'll be my first digital camera (but not the first SLR by no means:-).

I was only wondering about posted samples- somewhat "dark" appearence of the studio images (in comparison to lets say D70). Colors seem very vivid - I'm wondering if it wasa "bright" mode?

Best regards

Bartek

Ps. this was my first post here -I think Steve is doing nice job!
kaczorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes, the ISO test shots are a little "dark," I did not use any exposure compensation on them, that's simply the way the camera metered them. We can always brighten things up with exp comp or post-processing, better than digital overexposure. The *ist DS seems to be a little sharper out of the camera than the *ist D which a lot of people thought was quite soft. Sharpness is now a 5-level adjustment instead of just 3 levels and I was using the +1 setting for in-camera JPEGs.

The actual "Brightness" tone setting is for more vivid colors, not image brightness and there is a "Natural" setting if you like more neutral colors. These SLRs will be bought and used by the average consumer andwho are expecting more snappy colors and sharp images than the advanced dSLR users. As for image noise -- it will always be difficult for any CCD to compete with Canon's CMOS imagers...

The nicest thing about this camera is its size and weight. Even when the lens on it you can comfortably hand-carry this camera for hours or hang it around your neck without strain. The viewfinder is big and bright and it's a fairly responsive camera. Definitely nice to see four SLRs in the ~$1000 range now- competition will drive the prices even lower and hopefully make them improve the performance even further.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:45 AM   #5
Pi

Steve: thanks for the DS first look, am looking forward for the complete review.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put normal 52mm filters on the standard 18-55mm kit lens? Because some lenses have this strange ridge where you can't put any filters on.

Thanks in advance!
Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:51 AM   #6
Administrator

Standard 52mm filter threads, no restrictions.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:48 PM   #7

Hi Steve, I just purchased the camera with the len kit and have been playing with it this weekend. I was orginally going to purchase the D70 but because it has the same processor and uses SD cards I decided to go with the *ist DS. I wonder what the quality difference is between the D70 and *ist DS? I have a panasonic FZ10 and have started to compare pictures from both cameras and I find the pentax pictures to come out much darker than the panasonic - I guess it the difference betweeniso 50 vs iso 200? At Iso 200 the panasonic has too much noise to really compare.

Question: Usingthe camera setting (I don't want to always modify in photoshop), how would I brighten up the pictures? From your testing, what were your optimal settings? I'm usually taking indoor picturesof mykids - they're 25 and 6 month old.... thanks again, looking forward to your complete review.
jcespite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:27 PM   #8

Hey Steve I need your help. I'm new to the D-SLR world and just purchased the *ist ds.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"After taking about 20 pictures.....I have a feeling my camera is defective. All of my indoor flash pictures are way over exposed. Too white and totally useless. The flash just seems too bright...I'm about to send it back and exchange it, but before I do I wantto make sure that it is indeed a defect. When taking pictures within 15 feet on autofocus...should the pictures be overexposed? Even adjusting the AE doesn't help.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanx in advance.
tonytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:36 AM   #9
Administrator

Tony - Yes, it does sound like there is something not right about your camera.

Other folks with camera questions - please wait for us to finish the review. We are doing a bunch of cameras, mostly dSLRs, and trying to get them done as soon as possible due to holiday purchases but these cameras take longer to properly review. Blame the camera makers for not getting them to us sooner - our plate is full !
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:39 AM   #10

I am also very excited by the DS, since I have a collection of nice Pentax K og FA lenses. One thing I have wondered about the DS specifications:
  • why is the slowest ISO speed ISO 200? Why not ISO 100, or even 80 or 50? What is it with the CCD that restricts to this relative high number?
[/*]
Anybody who have any suggestions?
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote