Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:40 PM   #1

Hi,

I am considering a Pentax 1st D or the newer 1st Ds. Both are in shops. While the Ds is newer, it is more expensive. Can anyone tell me the fundamental differences between them. The only difference I observe is that the newer Ds uses SD while the older D uses CF. I already have many CF cards so unless there's a major improvement in the Ds, the cheaper D might be better for me. Also the reviews I read on the 1st D indicate some softness in the pics. Is this softness also evident in the 1st Ds?

thanks Bryan :?
bryanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:41 AM   #2

The only way to ficgure out is to look at sample pictures. See Steves review. It looks like Ds has less softness if you ask me.
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Administrator

The *ist DS is less expensive than the *ist D - not the other way around. You can get an *ist DS with a lens for $999, the *ist D is running about $1200 or more for the body alone. We are waiting for a replacement *ist DS to complete our review, we experienced an AF problem and sent the camera back to them so they could determine the source. My experience is that the images -are- sharper from the DS camera, but it also have 5-level sharpness adjustment vs 3-level on the D camera.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:52 PM   #4
TCB

How would you say it stacks up against the D70 Steve?
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:39 PM   #5

I was in a store this past Saturday & played with both. Each feels really nice. Very small, but well built. I would buy the istD for a couple of reasons. The "S" does not accept the optional grip, which I would want, and Pentax changed the way you access certain functions from switches or buttons on the body which the ist D has, to having to dive into menus to access, like changing the focus point andfocus and/or metering modes- all things that have dedicated buttons or switches on the body of the more advanced ist-D. Someone with anist-D can simply learn where a dedicated button is and switch metering patterns or focus modes or focus points without ever taking their eye from the finder, but not with the ist-DS.It's much like the choice Canon users had to choose between the 10D and Digital Rebel, except the ist DS offers even less versatility since you cannot mount the optional grip. Even if the grip was a no-issue, look at how you access what the camera does offer. The ist-D is much more user friendly- having to dive into menus to make basic operational changes is not the most efficient way to go, but then again I don't think Pentax envisioned the ist-DS as a camera for advanced shooters- at least not as their main body.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:53 PM   #6
Administrator

TCB wrote:
Quote:
How would you say it stacks up against the D70 Steve?

The *ist DS is nice but I will keep my D70 thank you. The D70 is more capable. The *ist DS will make a fine dSLR for those that simply want an easy to use camera that you can change lenses on and is small and light.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote