Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:54 PM   #11

I just got back from a week in Mexico and already took over 300 pictures.
I got the camera on Christmas day.
My lens is the Sigma 18-125.
So far everything is great!
It took me a couple of days to figure out a few things. Like making sure the multi area metering was woring with the Sigma. It doesn't in the default setting.
And the lens is actually longer than I thought.
But I carried it around everywhere I went and never had a problem.
I will try to post some pictures on pbase as soon as I can.
The one thing that could be better is the auto focus in dark situations. Sometimes, it just can't do it. Thank God for manual focus...
Burlapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:53 AM   #12

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
Dan:

Thanks for the reply! I like your writing style, you describe things that wouldn't be covered in a review! Did you have any problems with zipzoomfly?

Let us know how things are "developing"

Ted

You are welcome! The ZipZoomFly experience was noneventful and that is how I like my online ordering to be.

A new observation: museum shots of artifacts through glass with the 18-55 f3.5 kit lens without flash are excellent! A faster lens would still be better, but the f3.5 will do for now.

Dan Eggert
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:31 AM   #13

The discussion of Nikon versus Pentax reminds me of the film camera days. You had your Nikon and your Canon bigots.

It kind of went like this: Nikons had the most bullet-proof professional bodies, Canon had the best lenses, and Pentax/Minolta... well...they were for the "happy snappers" (non-professionals).

Then, almost mysteriously, young aspiring photographers who didn't buy into the hype starting buying minoltas, because they were cheap, small and light, could do everything (except maybe frames per second) that the more expensive cameras could do, and had a bright viewfinder to boot!

My feeling is that Canon will continue to dominate the professional and serious amateur digital market with Nikon following close onCanon's heels. But watch out for Minolta and Pentax. They can offer interesting value without having to buy into the hype.

And what about Leica and Hasselblad? What about medium format? There was always interesting niche markets in the film world, but I don't see the same thing happening to the same extent in digital world (yet). Instead, there seems to be a plethora of uninteresting point and shoots being announced almost every week.

I hope we see some digital "classics" developing, like the Canon 10D, the 20D, perhaps the D70. Digital cameras that will continue to delight photographers in 20 years time by their quality, honesty and ability to deliver the basics extremely well.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:36 PM   #14

Well, so far this little dSLR has been a joy to use. I am now perusing adding an external flash, so it looks like it is here to stay! I would buy it again without thinking twice about it...

Dan Eggert
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:10 AM   #15

Taylormade,
Which camera did you ultimately buy? I'm in Orlando, too, and have not found a DS to consider.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:39 AM   #16

"I hope we see some digital "classics" developing, like the Canon 10D, the 20D, perhaps the D70. Digital cameras that will continue to delight photographers in 20 years time by their quality, honesty and ability to deliver the basics extremely well. "

Terry, I have to *respectfully* disagree with you here. Although all of these cameras are capable, I'll bet in less than *ten* years we'll look at them and say, how in the world did we ever use these to take pictures? They'll seem primitive I think.

In 10 years we'll be seeing the basic cheap P&S digital camera with 16MP sensors. dSLRs will range from 32MP to 64MPand image stabilization will be built into the body of every camera. Memory cards will be SD size or smaller and hold16GB - 32GB. Automatic in-camera processing will be done to fix things that the glass can't: - purple fringing, pincushion and barrell distortion, for example. Cameras will be capable of 30 FPS (movie frame speed) with complete auto-tracking focus, and exposure evaluation on every frame. Flashes will have a hard time keeping up though, and will still deliver < 5 frames per second. Sensors will be extremely sensitive tolight and ISO settings will be GONE, but automatically set to the equivalent of 200 through6400 even 12800 with little or no noise. Using an f/5.6 lens in low light will no longer be a problem and lenses will be cheap because of that.

That's what I think anyway.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:39 AM   #17

Sorry somehow double-posted. How do you delete one?

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:43 PM   #18

If d-cams advance like computers did, you'll be right on.

Asthis comes true, will the dig-specificlenses be obselete? IOW, as the sensors approach (lets not talk about exceeding) the size of 35mm film, the image the lenses transmitwill be 'too small' for the sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the full sized sensorDSLRs today have a vignetted image withD70 (etc.) (Kodak) and Rebel (cannon) dig specific lenses. Would it be smart, then, to buy onlyfilm lenses?

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:44 AM   #19

Personally, yes I think the "digital only" lenses are a passing fad, and that all dSLRs will eventually be full-frame because the sensors will be cheap enough. And yes, these lenses will not work properly with full-frame sensors, not only because of the image circle being too small, but also because many of these lenses have a "back-set" that protrudes behind the lens into the camera body. On most full-frame cameras this would cause the mirror to hit the back of the lens when opening the shutter. Not good!

However, that doesn't mean I'd avoid buying "digital only" lenses. In my opinion, they are a terrific value because they tend to cost much less than equivalent "film lenses" of the same focal length and quality, and they tend to be smaller and lighter also because only the center of the lens needs to be sharp and free of distortions.

Since they are so inexpensive and lighter to carry compared to "film lenses", I don't think I'll mind much if I have to replace a couple of them in 5 years or so with full-frame lenses, since I'll have the benefits for several years.