Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:13 PM   #1

Has anyone tried the Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di lens on the *istDS?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:44 AM   #2

Not yet but I should receive mine this week and can let you know. I wasn't sure on which one to get, the Sigma or Tamron but according to some reviews the Tamron is the better choice, w'll see. I have the Sigma 28-200 and like it a lot but would like to have a longer zoom. I have a Temron 28-80 and I'm not impressed with the mechanical quality of the build lens. The Sigma zooms much smoother. Hopefully the Temron 28-300 performs better in that regards.

Tom
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:43 PM   #3

Igot the Tamron 28-300 XR LD IF late last summer. It now lives on my *IST D.I wish it had been the first lens I purchased for the Pentax (would have saved me several hunde\red dollars). I will probably get a wider zoom to fill out the lowerend. Between these two lens and a 50mm-1.4 I feel like I can cover 99% of my needs.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:47 PM   #4

About four years ago I bought a 28-300 lens with my old MZ5n (this is the Italian coding). My lens belongs to the first serie that, based on the MTF testsI read, is better than the second XR (better optical performances and steel bayonet). I used iton the *ist DS I bought this January (the equivalent focal lengthbecomes 42-450) and, on average, the results were satisfactory. Only some long distance picture taken at 300mmwere somehow blurry on high contrast scenes (sunny weather and snow). Other shots, taken almost in the same conditionswerenot bad(considering the price and the extended range of this zoom). On averageI consider this lens asa good choicebut, before deciding to buy it now, I would look at the perfromances of the new 18-200 from both Sigma and Tamron. Furthermore, f 6.3 is not too much andmy *istDS often lifts the flash to assist the focusing if I do not shut it down with the appropriate setting.

Ciao

Damiano
dam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:32 PM   #5

LewTwo-

I am in the market for another lens for my Pentax 1stDS. What lens would you compare the Tamron 28mm-200mm or the Tamron 28mm-300mm?

I want a really sharp lens with a lot of contrast. Will the Tamron 28mm-200mm or the Tamron 28mm-300mm give me that special combination of sharpness and contrast?

Thanks for your help, I really need to be a good deal more astute concerning lenses for my Pentax 1stDS.

Speaklightly
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:40 PM   #6

>> What lens would you compare the Tamron 28mm-200mm or the Tamron 28mm-300mm? <<

I would not compare it to anything else except maybe the sigma in the same range (that said it is genrally agreed in most reports that the Tamron is a bit better than the Sigma). It is a "supper-Zoom" and an excellent lens in that respect, but to be honest there has to be some compromise anytime you try to be all things to all people.

If "I want a really sharp lens with a lot of contrast" then I drop back to a prime lens (28, 50,90, 200 or whatever). However I am not a profession and most of the time I am simply taking a photograph to record the moment. The Tamron is an excellent walking around lens and a good base to build from .... but it is not a prime lens (but it is probably a better lens than I am a photoghrapher).

Cheers,

LewTwo

LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote