Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:20 AM   #21
KVP

Thanks Nols for your response. I must admid I was used to switch off the charger once the ledchanged togreen.Never thought trickle charge was that important. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Best regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:33 PM   #22

I've been using those green Eveready rechargeables in my *istDS and they work extremely well. I haven't kept count but it seems like hundreds of shots per charge.

I have two chargers: one of them charges 4 batteries in 30 minutes - the other takes maybe 7 hours but it also does trickle charging and seems like a nice way to keep batteries topped off.
Bodryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:01 PM   #23

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but I do have a couple comments. One of the reasons I bought the *ist DS because it was able to use regular alkaline batteries. I HATE losing power in the middle of taking shots! At worst, I could take the batteries out of a flash, at best, AA alkalines are ubiquitous.

Little did I know... After taking a couple hundred of shots using the original CRV3 lithium batts provided with the camera (flash, photo preview, all defaults ON) I decided to try some NiCads - they did not last one three hour outing - total ON time...maybe an hour..

Disappointing....but still, good in a pinch. I am still experimenting with the NiMH batts (2400). My first set shorted inside my camera, melting the plastic around the batt contacts (but leaving the camera operational) and have experienced odd problems with them since - they often do not show as "fully charged" when the camera is first turned on (even though they are).

Through my conversations with "Bob" (a Pentax tech) I have found that -

a. CRV3 lithium batteries will last 30-40 times longer than regular alkalines.
b. NiMH batts will last 2-10 times longer than regular alkalines, depending on batteries and charger.
c. CRV3 rechargables are NOT recommended - no reason given - even when pressed.
d. Yes, the *istDS WILL chew up AA alkalines like there is no tomorrow.

I continue to experiment with rechargables - power curve and life in mind - but for now, I rely on the CRV3 Lithium. I love the idea of rechargables, but if they do suit my purpose, they are worthless.

Steve
steve_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:56 AM   #24

I use 2500mh NiMH batteries, and have had great success with them in my *Ds - I probably have been getting at least 400-500 shots.

I also bought a Lenmar Mach 1 speed charger, which charges these batteries in between 8 to 15 minutes - it has a fan to keep them cool, and it is a gem! Puts a full charge back on these batteries in a flash
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:15 AM   #25

When I got my DS in May, I was expecting to have to continually feed it with batteries, so was very pleasantly surprised at the life from the supplied battery. When it finally gave up I was ready with my set of 4 AAs (2300ma-hr, NiMH), AND 2 sets of spares in the camera bag. I no longer bother carrying around the sets of spares ... On a recent two-week holiday in Madeira, taking over 1000 shots, most with a 70-300mm lens that does a lot of snapping in and out for focussing, I only changed the batteries once.
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:10 PM   #26

Using to sets of 2500mAh/1.2V NIMH's Iget at least 300 shots per freshly charged set, including heavy use of the monitor.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The battery monitor can be a little unprecize. But with to sets of batteries and a 1 hour charger I never worry about battery life...
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:37 AM   #27

steve_is wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but I do have a couple comments. One of the reasons I bought the *ist DS because it was able to use regular alkaline batteries. I HATE losing power in the middle of taking shots! At worst, I could take the batteries out of a flash, at best, AA alkalines are ubiquitous.

Little did I know... After taking a couple hundred of shots using the original CRV3 lithium batts provided with the camera (flash, photo preview, all defaults ON) I decided to try some NiCads - they did not last one three hour outing - total ON time...maybe an hour..

Disappointing....but still, good in a pinch. I am still experimenting with the NiMH batts (2400). My first set shorted inside my camera, melting the plastic around the batt contacts (but leaving the camera operational) and have experienced odd problems with them since - they often do not show as "fully charged" when the camera is first turned on (even though they are).

Through my conversations with "Bob" (a Pentax tech) I have found that -

a. CRV3 lithium batteries will last 30-40 times longer than regular alkalines.
b. NiMH batts will last 2-10 times longer than regular alkalines, depending on batteries and charger.
c. CRV3 rechargables are NOT recommended - no reason given - even when pressed.
d. Yes, the *istDS WILL chew up AA alkalines like there is no tomorrow.

I continue to experiment with rechargables - power curve and life in mind - but for now, I rely on the CRV3 Lithium. I love the idea of rechargables, but if they do suit my purpose, they are worthless.

Steve
I also love CRV3's - they seem like they never stop. I also looked into rechargeable CRV3's, but the Japan Pentax site mentioned something about their discharge voltage (or something to that effect) was too high, and might cause damage.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:44 PM   #28

I normally use the NiMH batteries and they last a long time and are rechargeable. However, I was just travelling for a month overseas where my charger won't work so I invested in some Panasonic CRV3 lithium batteries. One set of these last me the entire trip (about 600 photos) and it still showed full power by the end. I was very impressed.

Marc
PhotoMarc is offline   Reply With Quote