Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:00 PM   #1

Bear with me - I'm new to this! I'm looking at my brand new ist DS with misgivings, because there are two expensive looking batteries which say "Do not recharge." Surely there must be long-lasting battreries that CAN be recharged, apart from the rechargeable A batteries?
RobertSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:17 PM   #2

Robert,

I have had great results with the Eveready NiMH AA rechargables. They used to be the largest capacity available at 2300 mAH each. I have them in everything AA that I have. As a result, I was running short so I bought some more at Sam's Club 19-Jan. I was very surprised to see they are now up to a whopping 2500 mAH!

Get 'em, they work great....

Dan Eggert
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:17 AM   #3
Administrator

See pg 4 of my *ist DS review, we have links to the different battery types you can use in this camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...istds_pg4.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:46 AM   #4

Many thanks, Dan and Steve. Such a prompt reply! Bless you both!
RobertSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:04 PM   #5

I bought a DS over the holidays and have been disappointed with the Nicad performance of my batteries. Last night I put in two sets of Nicads thatwere fully charged only two weeks ago. I put in the camera and only got two or three shots until they went dead. I know Nicads go down while just sittingin the camera bag - but this is ridiculous.I guess I'm going to have to spring$50.00 and get the rechargable CR3s! I guess the D70 would not have given me this problem! Even with its proprietary battery!
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:33 AM   #6

Gosman wrote:
Quote:
I bought a DS over the holidays and have been disappointed with the Nicad performance of my batteries. Last night I put in two sets of Nicads thatwere fully charged only two weeks ago. I put in the camera and only got two or three shots until they went dead. I know Nicads go down while just sittingin the camera bag - but this is ridiculous.I guess I'm going to have to spring$50.00 and get the rechargable CR3s! I guess the D70 would not have given me this problem! Even with its proprietary battery!
NiC also have a charging memory. They only run down to where you charged them last. It is an exercise in ever decreasing power the more you use and charge them. It is not necessarilly the specific battery you are using as much as it is the battery possibly not performing the same as it was when new.

Try a pack of NiMH AA's. They will change your mind, and this type of technology does not have a charging memory. The latest sets of 2500 maH NiMH AA's that I have work great. The older 600maH ones are only good for about 12 shots so I no longer use them.

Hope this helps!

Dan Eggert
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:27 PM   #7
Administrator

NiCd is really old technology for digital camera use. We've had NiMH batteries for years now and they keep getting more powerful, now up to 2500mAh rating. Toss the nicads and buy some new NiMH cells - you won't believe the difference!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:40 PM   #8

Steve,

I meant that I was using nickel metal hydride batteries- some are 2300 milliamp. I just put a freshly charged set in the DS and it is showing only half battery life.I am very disappointed - there is no way I'm getting 50 shots per battery set let alone 300 as in your review!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:34 PM   #9

Gosman,

There must be something wrong with the batteries or the camera then. My DS, purchased in December, just had the first battery change today at a Scout outing. I had taken 172 photos since loading it up (2300 maH), and most of them were with the flash. When it did finally give up today it was about 8 degrees F outside. Certain death for batteries.

My point is that you situation does not sound normal!

Sorry I cannot be of any more help than to post a frame of reference...

Dan Eggert
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:15 AM   #10

Dan,

If you think about it, 172 pictures is not alot. I've shot well over 600 pictures since I got mine at Christmas. I guess I'm using my LCD quite a bit with picture review. This runs the batteries down quickly. The use of Lithuim Ion batteries should help too (including the rechargable type).I also checked and the batteries giving me the most trouble are the 2000miamp. My 2300's last longer. I guess I'll buy some 3000'swhen they come out!