Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:33 PM   #1

I sent this to Pentax:

Comments:

So far, this camera is great except for two things:

1) It has no way of selecting "continuous focus mode" except by selecting "Moving Object Mode", and accepting all of the other presets that mode implies. This is a serious flaw, and many others are complaining about it as well. I believe the *ist D had a way to select this separately. Oh, and by the way, why in the world did you name the focusing point option "Switch dst msr pt>"? What the heck does that mean? How about "Focus point>", or "AF point>" or something else meaningful?

2) I'm have a LOT of trouble getting good exposures on indoor shots with the built-in flash. They are either underexposed (sometimes) or way overexposed (most of the time). This problem does not occur on the Canon 20D or Nikon D70. Do you have any fix for this?

Thanks,

Jay Bailey

And got the following answer:

Mr. Bailey:

Thank you for contacting Pentax Imaging Company. We are sorry for the response delay.

The *istDS doesn't come with continuous autofocus, in order to allow it to achieve the lower price with respect to the *istD. The continuous autofocus by means of the action mode is incidental.

For indoor shots, make sure the subject is within the flash effective range, and that the camera is set automatically (auto aperture, shutter, etc.). Make sure you aren't using exposure or flash compensation, etc.

We hope this information is useful to you. If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to write or contact our Dealer & Consumer Services department at 800-877-0155.

Pentax Imaging Company
Christopher Pound
Digital Products Group

I don't know if this is useful or not, but I thought I'd post it.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:35 PM   #2

Of course that means that the *ist DS certainly DOES do continuous auto-focus (i.e. the hardware is capable). They just turned it off in the firmware.

I hate it when companies do that sort of thing.

Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:06 AM   #3
TC3

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
Of course that means that the *ist DS certainly DOES do continuous auto-focus (i.e. the hardware is capable). They just turned it off in the firmware.

I hate it when companies do that sort of thing.

If you have a problem go buy the ist D and not the cheaper ist DS...there is a reason for the lack of features you know :roll:

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:08 AM   #4

I do have a problem and you don't need tobe rude.

The problem is that Pentax needs to be more competitive in this market. They are a distant 4th or 5th (maybe worse) in the dSLR market because they've made some silly decisions. The *ist D is NOT competitive at it's price point at all. It's nearly in the range of the Canon 20D, which is a MUCH superior camera.

In the *ist DS space (consumer <$1000) they are better, but not dominating by any means. So instead of enabling something in the firmware (continuous autofocus) that would make them more competitive, they artificially limit what the camera can do to "protect" their lame excuse for a "prosumer" dSLR in the *ist D. Not that it's a bad camera - it just doesn't hack it when it comes to competition.

The *ist DS is a really nice camera - I love mine - but instead of creating a camera that has a chance of dominating in the consumer dSLR space, they made some stupid choices. I mean the *ist DS is already: lighter, faster FPS, larger LCD, smaller memory media (SD), etc. than the *ist D, so why hobble it so that you can't use it to focus on things that move. That is just silly.

And now the best thing they come out with at PMA is a silver color *ist DS??? Lame, very lame. A company in 5th place needs to be doing it BETTER than their competition. The small size of the *ist D and DS bodies is a great technological innovation that many people love (including me). Now they should pack the cameras with features and give Nikon and Canon a run for their money.Where is Pentax's version of IS/VR for instance? Right now my dealer says he sells Canon and Nikon dSLRs30 to 1 over Pentax. Pentax won't stay alive with those numbers. The manufacturer's rep can't even make a living.