Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:04 AM   #1

Hi, I just bought a Pentax istDS about a week ago, and ive noticed that all the images seem to be quite noisy - im not sure if im using the wrong ISO, etc or if you need special settings or whatever. Evening enabling the custom options to include noise reduction on the camera seems to have no effect.

Ive attached a picture of some sky to show what is happening.

I thought perhaps it was due to the JPEG compression (which is set to max quality on the camera, 3 stars) so i testing taking a picture in RAW, but it came out the same.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

(obviously the picture is cropped so i didnt have to reduce the entire picture, and so i could upload it to the forums)
Attached Images

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:50 AM   #2

I'd be interested to know as well.

Could you post the ASA value as this might explain things.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

I went back to the shop today and he said this is perfectly normal- Although i took the same picture with every ISO value on the camera and each had noise, but as it got closer to ISO3200 the noise increased. He seemed quite suprised at how little noise there was?

Anyway he is going to take some pictures with another istDS and a Canon 300d from the shop and email them to me so I can see.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:19 PM   #4

I don't have a 1st Ds but would be amazed if that's normal. My cheap Canon A70 3.1m pixel doesn't produce anywhere near that much noise. Looking at Steves sample pictures on the 1st Ds review, they also look nothing like that. Would very much like to here from someone who has a 1st Ds.

cheers Bryan
bryanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5

After comparing shots with my uncles Canon 300D it would seem that the noise levels Ive got on my pictures are quite acceptable, as the 300d did give similar results when we were taking pictures of the same subjects. The difference is the 300d lets you go down to ISO100, which im assuming will make a much nicer picture, whereas the istDS goes only to ISO200. I wouldnt think there was that much difference.

I got aboutg 30 prints done from my pictures and they all turned out excellent, im very happy with them. Although ive noticed a spot on each picture (which doesnt turn out on the prints) which i think is on the CCD. So time to go back and get it replaced, its only a week old
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:37 AM   #6

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
After comparing shots with my uncles Canon 300D it would seem that the noise levels Ive got on my pictures are quite acceptable, as the 300d did give similar results when we were taking pictures of the same subjects. The difference is the 300d lets you go down to ISO100, which im assuming will make a much nicer picture, whereas the istDS goes only to ISO200. I wouldnt think there was that much difference.
I've read a review of the *ist DS where they were raving about the low noise levels of the camera. If I remember correctly, the noise charts there were suggesting that levels of the *ist DS at ISO200 were not worse than the EOS 300D at ISO100. Will look it up again later. According to the report, the *ist DS and *ist D generally seemed to be in very good control of noise and the *ist DS particularly at high ISO where it seemed to beat EOS 300D and D 70 by a substantial margin.

Now that I write this, I remember that they were going on about different general picture processing settings: the default is more contrasty and lively -- this seemed to be noisier. The alternative setting was said to render pictures somehow softer with less kick (for a lack of a better way to put it now). Have you experimented with the picture conversion settings? Have not used the camera myself so don't know how this parameter is called on the *ist DS. Don't think it was plain sharpness. Will try to find out again later too.

Cheers,
Joerg
HerrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:23 AM   #7

Would that be set on the menu of the camera? Give me 15 mins to have alook and ill take a picture if i find it and post it.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:30 AM   #8

I believe you are talking about the "Image Tone" setting which has a choice between "Natural", and "Enhanced". Enhancedgives the more saturated, contrasty, sharpened "Consumer Cam" pics as opposed to the Natural setting:

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:59 AM   #9

Just took a couple of photos and didnt notice much difference at all between the two settings
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:55 AM   #10

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
I believe you are talking about the "Image Tone" setting which has a choice between "Natural", and "Enhanced". Enhanced gives the more saturated, contrasty, sharpened "Consumer Cam" pics as opposed to the Natural setting.
That was it. Exactly.

But changing it didn't help in the end, errno_gmm says, right?

Hmm.
HerrB is offline   Reply With Quote