Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:47 PM   #1

I just ordered my first digital slr. I have been researching all the forums available on the internet and yesterday was finally able to get my hands on an actual camera. It felt wonderful in my hands!

I hope not to pester or ask redundant questions but I will tell you upfront I am inexperienced. I had a film 35mm slr oly 25 years ago and recently have labored with a sony mavica.

I have ordered the camera with the kit lens. Now I need to order the essentials, any advice? I am planning to order rechargeable batteries & charger, sd card, filters and possible a protective LCD cover. I would appreciate any guidance and wisdom of my peers here!
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:47 PM   #2
KSV

Battery and charger a must and do not forget spare set.Some says that rechargeable CR-V3 OK, but I do not feel comfortable using them - cover need to be push really hard. LiMh AA 2300 ma battery what I using can easy withstand 400+ pix. Be sure to buy *GOOD* charger - computer controllable fast (1 hr or so) and with separate channels for all four batteries - even if it is appears a bit costy you will save on batteries - they can be longer in service. SD card - minimum 512, better two of them. Do not worry too much about "super-fast" SD - difference is close to nothing; better spend money for something reputable with life-time warranty (i.e. Kingston, Toshiba etc). As for filters protective UV if you like. Probably polarized. Everything else "as you go". Corrective filters in digital photos has very limited usage (IMHO) and you barely need gray one either (unless you planing to do something special). Cover for LCD is waste of money (IMHO). You forget one *VERY* important thing - flush. Do not buy cheap one - you can always use internal anyway. If you tuff on budget wait a bit, but get proper TTL or (better) PTTL with swivel head - you can render marvelous shoots when flushing backward.

Enjoy!
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:30 PM   #3

Im still going on my out of the box CRV3's which are non rechargable, after 600+ photos. Only some have been with flash though
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:49 PM   #4
Administrator

KSV wrote:
Quote:
Battery and charger a must and do not forget spare set.Some says that rechargeable CR-V3 OK, but I do not feel comfortable using them - cover need to be push really hard.

Actually Pentax has stated to -not- use rechargeable CR-V3 type because some of them are putting out too much voltage. Get two sets of 2500mAh NiMH AA batteries and a good charger, it's the better way to go.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:03 AM   #5
KSV

steve wrote:
Quote:
Actually Pentax has stated to -not- use rechargeable CR-V3 type because some of them are putting out too much voltage.
It is correct, but I have read somewhere that CR-V3 been usedwithout any problem; they even reported gain in performance (faster focusing). I personally stuck to NiMh and quite happy:-) Besides I have a benefit to use the same type of batteries in my another camera and in flush
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:34 AM   #6

What is the "flush" you keep talking about???
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:43 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I purchased two sets of the NiMH AA batteries plus charger, two sd 512 cards and a tifffen uv filter (ebay).

I translated "flush" to be "flash" - I am looking for used, but may have to wait a while to invest in a good one.

What type camera bag is good?
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:50 PM   #8
KSV

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
What is the "flush" you keep talking about???
Those one witch emit strong light and usually mounted om top of camera :-) Sorry - I am not native English :-)