Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1
wll

First I think from all the forum chat the Rebel XT was the hit item of the show.

I also think it was, but Nikon kept their name in the news with their P&S cams. The DH2s will take it's course and we have to see if the pros like it.

Oly was another winner with some very impressive and probably expensive lenses for the pro and advanced amature market. It shows they are in the game seriously with the 4/3rds system.

Pentax had there 50-200 to ad to there 16-45.

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina came out with digital lenses , as they know film is less and less of a market share.

I think even though it seems like Nikon and Pentax "missed the Boat" I think they may be waiting in the weeds for spring, Nikon to announce a successor to the D70 and Pentax to announce a new istD.

We will see, I don't think these companies will sit by and let Canon rule the roost.

All companies know the digital is now and the vast majority of lenses and accessories will be taylored to thet medium, but it takes time and money, Canon now has the money, but in time the others will catch up and hold there own by producing high quality products and offering a different nitch in very competitive market.

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:39 AM   #2
TC3

wll wrote:
Quote:
First I think from all the forum chat the Rebel XT was the hit item of the show.

I also think it was, but Nikon kept their name in the news with their P&S cams. The DH2s will take it's course and we have to see if the pros like it.

Oly was another winner with some very impressive and probably expensive lenses for the pro and advanced amature market. It shows they are in the game seriously with the 4/3rds system.

Pentax had there 50-200 to ad to there 16-45.

Sigma, Tamron and Tokina came out with digital lenses , as they know film is less and less of a market share.

I think even though it seems like Nikon and Pentax "missed the Boat" I think they may be waiting in the weeds for spring, Nikon to announce a successor to the D70 and Pentax to announce a new istD.

We will see, I don't think these companies will sit by and let Canon rule the roost.

All companies know the digital is now and the vast majority of lenses and accessories will be taylored to thet medium, but it takes time and money, Canon now has the money, but in time the others will catch up and hold there own by producing high quality products and offering a different nitch in very competitive market.

Bill

By the time they have catched up Canon will be one step ahead again with a newer better model!

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:00 PM   #3

Arguably, Canon has the thrust and the money to control the dSLR market. However, I, personally, am still rooting for the little guy: the Pentax.

Pentax has made a major thrust forward with the Pentax 1stDS. a quality, smallish camera with unusual features worth noting. Can they survive Canon's onslaught, probably not, but none they less they (Pentax) have a notable, quality product that deserves your attention. We need to keep the little guys like Pentax in the game too. The force new innovations and improvements in all dSLR cameras.

Speaklightly
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:04 PM   #4

The problem is that Pentax needs to be more competitive in this market. They are a distant 4th or 5th (maybe worse) in the dSLR market because they've made some silly decisions. The *ist D is NOT competitive at it's price point at all. It's nearly in the range of the Canon 20D, which is a MUCH superior camera.

In the *ist DS space (consumer <$1000) they are better, but not dominating by any means. For example,instead of enabling something in the firmware (continuous autofocus) that would make them more competitive, they artificially limit what the camera can do to "protect" their lame excuse for a "prosumer" dSLR in the *ist D. Not that it's a bad camera - it just doesn't hack it when it comes to competition.

The *ist DS is a really nice camera - I love mine - but instead of creating a camera that has a chance of dominating in the consumer dSLR space, they made some stupid choices. I mean the *ist DS is already: lighter, faster FPS, larger LCD, smaller memory media (SD), etc. than the *ist D, so why hobble it so that you can't use it to focus on things that move. That is just silly.

And now the best thing they come out with at PMA is a silver color *ist DS??? Lame, very lame. A company in 5th place needs to be doing it BETTER than their competition. The small size of the *ist D and DS bodies is a great technological innovation that many people love (including me). Now they should pack the cameras with features and give Nikon and Canon a run for their money.Where is Pentax's version of IS/VR for instance? Right now my dealer says he sells Canon and Nikon dSLRs30 to 1 over Pentax. Pentax won't stay alive with those numbers. The manufacturer's rep can't even make a living.
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote