Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:47 AM   #11

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
What brands of charger are good? I have the Duracell one (1 hour) that I bought with 4 Duracell AA 2300Mah batteries. I'm not sure it fully charges them though. And once the LEDs turn green, I don' think it trickle charges.

Any tips on a good quality charger?

Jay

The people at our local camera store, said don't use Duracell for camera use! Shirley

scurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:38 PM   #12

I use Energizer 2500mah batteries in my DS and yesterday shot three 512 SD cards in jpg mode and the indicator still is reading full.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:09 PM   #13

Shirley,

Well, I don't know about your camera store, but the people at my local camera store(s) know less about cameras (and probably just about every other subject) than I do. The answer to almost every question I asked about dSLRs during my shopping several weeks agowas either wrong or a guess.

Thanks for the warning, but I'll take my chances. I think the power coming from a Duracell battery is absolutely no different than any otherNiMh battery with the same ratings. I mean, it's simple DC power with voltage &amperage.

I'm pretty sure your camera store genius doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:16 AM   #14

Might want to charge and discharge the new set couple of times first. Also, I put a set of NiMH that I used with several digitla cameras before on the *ist DS recently. The batteries would die pretty much overnight even when not in use the first two times. This time, cross fingers, the batteries seem to stay up for almost a week now.
hfc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:17 PM   #15

Just returned from a few days away and the Uniross 2100mA/h batteries lasted in excess of 6 days in which some 600 images were shot - needless to say, I'm greatly impressed.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:26 PM   #16

As a followup to my previous post here, the Maha 2300mah NiMH cells have lasted a bit over 2 weeks with apporximately 520 shots completed. About 150 of these were with the built in flash.

When the 'batteries depleted" warning came up on the DS, I removed the cells and measured the voltage. So, at this unuseable state, the voltage was approx 1.224 vdc per cell, which, theoretically, is the operating voltage for the NiMH. At any rate, I am extremely pleased with their performance considering this was the first cycle of the cells.

BTW, the inital charge of thesae cells was set on the Maha charger (MH-C401S) at Slow, 300ma. I am trying to take it easy with them the first few charge cycles.

k8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:42 PM   #17

k8ny wrote:
Quote:
When the 'batteries depleted" warning came up on the DS, I removed the cells and measured the voltage. So, at this unusable state, the voltage was approx 1.224 vdc per cell, which, theoretically, is the operating voltage for the NiMH.
Measuring the voltage of the cell will in itself not provide an indication to how much charge is remaining - a totally depleted cell will still show it's typical voltage until you 'pull' some current out of it.

I always stick the multimeter on 10A current range and connect it across the battery terminals - internal resistance limits the current & if it delivers 5A or more, then it's pretty healthy.

I don't advise leaving the multimeter across the battery for long period - just long enough the check it's current capability.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:19 PM   #18

Thanks Catbells,

Actually my penultimate post had a line which stated "I did measure my charged start voltage per cell and the reading was 1.423 Vdc. They are now reading 1.344 Vdc, so about three quarter of a volt drop per cell which really isn't that bad. Of course, that is a static measurement and was not performed under load."

I did however measure the voltages immediately after use so they did not have time to rejuvenate at that moment in time.

You can see that I did not measure under load as I often do but didn't have the time to make up a jig to measure from.

Thanks for your input on the current measurement. I will take a reading when the next set depletes.

k8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:06 PM   #19

It's been so long since I've had to change the 2300 mA/h batteries that I couldhave forgotten, but I believe that they been in the camera since 4 March 2005 during which time I've shot 1345 images, mainly 3 star JPEG with occasional flash.

I tend to use the camera over the weekend leaving the camera switched off in the mean time.

During a days shoot, I never switch the camera off, I rely on it going into standby mode after 1 minute.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:04 PM   #20

I have the same question. I had some year and a half old, 2000 mhr batteries that I never used. Straight out of box, never used. Charged them fully. After draining 4 alkline in 50 or so shots I popped in the fully charged NMhi. The showed dead. I reset them in the body and they showed full. Shot some 20 more with flash. That week, two times, I turn on the camera and the charge showed half. Switched off and on and they showed full. Interesting.

The camera kit I bought came with 4 other rechargable batteries/charger. The old set are still showing full after some 70 more shots with some flash. Way better then some other digitals that use AA.

Is this a rechargeable battery thing ? Thought I had a defective camera.
mbutkus is offline   Reply With Quote