Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:19 PM   #1

Any idea how much this lens will cost and when it will be available? I'm thinking of purchasing thePentax 1st DS and would want another lens to go with the one it comes with.

Thanks

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:34 PM   #2
KSV

Why FA series is not good for you? As far as I am concern DA is sort of "digital" version of FA, witch means that it has smaller circle and therefore *POTENTIALLY*should cost less and be lighter. For the same money I would rather buy "proper" version - what happens if in 3-5 years time full-size-sensor Pentax became available (and affordable!!!) and you would like to upgrade? Of course I did not play with DA50-200, but my "digital" Sigma shows some vignetting - not really noticeably, but still. Older "proper" lenses shows just nothing - they design for bigger circle and when using only central spot (best from resolution and aberration point of view) produce excellent result.

What is about cost - $500USD (guess works), about availability no guessing at all :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:43 PM   #3

What would a similar FA version cost? How much is the Sigma?

Thanks

//ijm
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:22 PM   #4
KSV

Here is a link of Oz on-line shop. It seems to me that you in Oztoo - if this is the case I would suggest to check physical store as well (bigger is better) - I managed to get my *istDS from Ted's cheaper that anywhere on E-Buy!

http://www.********************/35mm+C...x+Lenses_1.htm
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:34 PM   #5

The Pentax site has the DA 50-200mm price listed as "Under $300". I still wonder when?
jesterDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:06 AM   #6

Hello there. I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I have been thinking about this old lens vs. new lens issue for some time now. Let me see if I have this right. The old pentax lenses will project an image LARGER than the DA model lenses that were built to fit the sensor, yes?

If this is the case, then the image projected onto the sensor will be too large for the sensor, and the sensor will only be able to read the central portions of the image. Everything that runs off the sensor edge will be lost.

To me, this sounds fantastic. Most lenses, even the fantastic pentax line, have abberations and blurring toward the outer edges of the picture plane. It sounds like the crappiness at the edges is being cut off. Is this true? Granted, an SMC-A 28mm prime lens will now be about 42 or 44mm, but is this true? Is it potentially much better to use the older primes and zooms?
eck397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:07 PM   #7

You are correct that the older lenses project a larger image and the digial camera only records the center part of that image. So if you are having trouble with excess "crapiness" at the edges with film, the digital would crop off the edges.

If the older lenses are better or not - that's a matter of personal opinion. I find the size and light weight of the digial lenses to be a very nice advantage

I received a response from pentax predicting the DA 50-200mm lens will be available in June/July this summer. I want to buy a telephoto zoom before then. Any suggestions? I bought a Tamron 28-300 lens, but found it to be to encumbering.
jesterDC is offline   Reply With Quote