Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:53 AM   #1

I purchase my ISD DS just a few days ago and now found that it is almost impossible to make a photo of my child at home using in-build flash. In 80 % of photos his eyes appears semi-closed or closed.

After some research on internet I understood it is P-TTL, which actually flashes twice and so subject sees the first flash, instinctively closes eyes and as a result - bad photo.

Has anybody have this experience ? Is anyway to get around and make a photo using flash ?

Appreciate your answers

Ali
Fkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2

Get an external flash that supports TTL flash. There will be no pre-flash and that should be the solution to your problem.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:24 PM   #3

I have an inexpensive external Pentax flash and it works excellentlyon my DS.No more blinking or closed eyes.

k8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:00 PM   #4
KSV

Furthermore - if you switch "red eye reduction" OFF and put your flash backward (swivel it) you would amaze yourself with output. Although with such method correct exposure may be tricky :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:24 AM   #5

Thank you everybody for your answers.

Pentax got me on hook. After spending 1000 now I have to spend more !

Thanks !

Ali

BTW, which flash would you recommend ?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:07 PM   #6
KSV

Fkbr wrote:
Quote:
Pentax got me on hook.
Not Pentax as a such, but DSLR :-) - not far away and you start thinking about another lens :-). IMHO you can not expect internal flash (in*ANY* camera - not DSLR only) to do anything good except "fill up" in high-contrast situation in sunny day or back-lit. This is what is good about DSLR - you can use external flash!

Quote:
BTW, which flash would you recommend ?
As long as it TTL it will do the job. P-TTL will give you more precise exposure control, but it use pre-flash (as internal one). IMHO vertical swivel a must and horizontal very desirable. I have 7 yo Sigma and very happy with results. If budget is limited than have a look at second hand one.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:27 AM   #7

I am considering Pentax AF 360 FGZ Flash for the *istD & *istDS Digital

will it be able to work in a mode without pre-flash ?

Thank you

Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:14 PM   #8

yeh ! real bummer this one I looked at all the other small dslr's and they all do the same, closed eyes too.

I think the only answer is to attach a seperate flash such as a small dedicated Metz type for really reliable results thats what I would do.

What I dont understand is WHY include it ? They say its for flash rangefinding and red eye reduction :shock:So what the hell is photoshop for.

Lets have the full thing after all their MZ 5n does not flash twice make a complaint about it to Pentax too. best of luck

Doug.
KEEGAN is offline   Reply With Quote