Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:16 PM   #1

I have decided to upgrade to digital SLR.Since having bunch of K1000 lenses (SMC-M) and accessories picking up dust, my logical choice is *istDs.Today Ritz Camera salesman,contrary to what I read on this forum, told me that lenses I have can not be used with *istDs ,they tried that and interfered with the LCD display possibly shorting the contact points of the lens mount.Anybody had this problem.If this is the case I might consider the new 8mp Canon 350 coming out soon.Thanks for any input.
zoom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:15 PM   #2

That is about what I would expect from a Ritz Camera sales person-bad advice! I have used lenses from every Pentax 35mm camera I have owned including screw mount lenses on my istDS with no problems. I expect he is not telling you the truth about trying it and having sensor issues.

The only issue you will have with the older lenses is the meter is not automatic, you have to set the f stop manually and a adapter is required with screw mount lenses.

I have used the Canon 300D, Nikon D70 and the istDS and the DS is by far the better choice in my opinion.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:32 AM   #3

There are some PKR lenses that were made for Ricoh cameras that have an extra piece sticking out on the lens mount that can get stuck on your DS. They can be difficult to remove, but no Pentax SMC lenses will be a problem with your DS.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:24 PM   #4
KSV

zoom1 wrote:
Quote:
salesman...told me that lenses I have can not be used with *istDs
Just a curiosity - do you believe those idiots at all? They could be just dump - OK you can call it "he is just doing his job, do not expect him to know everything", but I still call him dump, and seen it many times. Or it could be even worse - very clever guy leading you to buy equipment witch is he likes to sell more, that your original request because margin is higher and/or his commission as well. Or they just do not have what you ask in stock, but still like to sell you something. Anyway exactly how ennacac mentioned above this is beauty of Pentax- it accept ANY k-mount lenses and plus everything else (wide format or screw mount) with adapter. Just be sure that you allow to use manual AV in custom menu. I have half a dozen old lenses and have absolutely no issue with them.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:21 AM   #5

Can I fit a Sigma Zoom lens to my Pentax K1000 with compatibility?
auntagony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:35 PM   #6

Since I purchased my DS last month I have used all the following lenses on the DS with no problems whatsoever:

Manual lenses used with adapter:

M42 Manual 55mm f1.8 (1969 - used on my Spotmatic and others with adapter)

M42 manual 135 f2.5 (1970's used on my Spotmatic and others with adapter)

M42 manual 200mm f5.6 (1970's used on my Spotmatic and K1000 with adapter)

Auto lenses:

SMC Pentax -A 50mm f1.7 (1970's used on my K1000, P30T, P50)

SMC Pentax -A 50mm f2.0 (1970's used on my K1000,P30T, P50)

Takumar - A 28mm f2.8 (1970's used on my K1000, P30T, P50)

SMC Pentax - A 35-80mm f4 - 5.6 (1990's used on my K1000, P30T, P50, ZX50)

Sigma Zoom AutoFocus 100-300mm f4.5-6.7) (1990's used onK1000, P30T, P50, ZX50)

These lenses also work backward compatible as I indicate. Of course an AutoFocus lens will work on a manual like the K1000 however the auto focus function will not be available (obviously) Ditto for AutoAperture, but they all still function in a manual mode.

Is there any other camera company that affords this level of compatibility?

k8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:42 AM   #7

ennacac: why would you prefer the *ist-Ds over D70/300D? I'm just curious as I'm about to buy either *ist-Ds/D70 or 350D. I'd be very interested to hear the comments from someone who's acually used these cameras (I guess 350D is not so different from 300D?). Right now I'm leaning towards the Pentax. I'm also waiting to see Steves review of 350D before I make the final desicion.
perca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:56 PM   #8

Could someone tell me the procedure for using an older non-A lens on the *istDS? I have read the *istD instructions but the DS seems to be a little different. I have several very good old K-mount lenses so I am very interested in the *istDS.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:22 PM   #9
KSV

1. Somewhere in custom menu there is an item "Allow non-A lenses" (or something like that) - set it to "yes". Set focus to "M". Set program to "M"

2. Mount your lens, set aperture and focus it.

3. Press AE-lock button - camera close aperture to your set and figure out correct exposure.

4. Press button :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:59 AM   #10

auntagony wrote:
Quote:
Can I fit a Sigma Zoom lens to my Pentax K1000 with compatibility?
yes you can as long as the sigma has a pentax mount