Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1

Hi all. New to the forum, somewhat new to the *istds, which I have dubbed: "The little camera that could".

My problem is that I am a bit confounded in trying to get the TTL flash automation to work correctly. I do not care much about the built-in flash, but I have spent considerable time trying to get my AF400FTZ Pentax flash working right in TTL and also my Metz 45 CT-4 with the Pentax AF TTL adapter working in TTL.

These flashes work perfectly with my PZ-1, ZX-5N, and ZX-L in any mode I choose to shoot in. If I use P or HYP or HYP M with the PZ-1, the TTL/ambient balance is nearly perfect and I can mainly just shoot and forget.

With the *istds, I almost always get over-exposed pictures in any mode but M. In M mode, I can select the shutter speed I want and dial in different apertures, and the resulting picture changes very little up to the limit of the ability of the flash. The exposures are all almost exactly the same f stop to f stop, as one would expect with TTL.

Not so in AV, Tv or P modes. The resulting exposures are inconsistent, but most often are over-exposed, and the camera seems to not set any shutter speed other than 1/45. So, in Av, I can dial in an f stop that will work, but all of my other Pentax TTL cameras I pick the f stop when in Av mode, and the camera varies the shutter speed (up to the max sync speed) to get the proper exposure from the TTL reading if possible within the available shutter speed sync ranges.

I sent Pentax a question about this, but they have not answered and it is looking like they may not as it has been weeks since I asked.

I unslaved the focus and AE points thinking that might help, and I thought it did for a mninute, but it did not. I tried all of the meter modes, to no good end. The best I have been able to do is to knock down the flash compensation 1.5 - 2 stops and then it works ok, but I sometimes get underexposed pics that way.

I have tried various ISO settings and thought for a minute 400 worked best, but it really does not work right either.

I am shooting exclusively RAW mode.

Anyone know how to get TTL flash automation working right?

Thanks,

Ray

350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:23 PM   #2
KSV

Have Sigma EF-430ST flash and do not have much problem with it. Just for matter of curiosity have tried it in different mode yesterday and results was very similar each to other. Saying that I should admin that obtain satisfactory resultswith flash always been a problem when you have subject far away from background or many subjects at different distance. Try to put diffuser on flash and point it into ceiling or backward.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I use both flashes either in ceiling bounce mode or with a Lumiquest attachment on them, and they have both given excellent results on my Pentax film cameras., but inconsistent results with the Istds.

There is definnitely something different about the programming and/or TTL sensor setup with the istds that is causing this problem.

Ray
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:54 AM   #4
KSV

O, BTW witch lens do you use? There was claim somewhere that non-"digital" lenses can influence on quality of metering, because CCD reflect light not like film, so they says that they address this issue with special anti-glare coating. Plus full-frame lenses broadcast wider circle and probably can affect TTL sensor - it became lit but "foreign" light - those one witch come directly from lens but not reflecting from CCD. Probably all this staff is just crap, but gonna make a test with "normal" lens tonight.

Cheers

BTW do you really own 350Z?
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:42 AM   #5

I have similar trouble with all lenses I have tried.

I have used the kit lens, my 28 - 70 F4 AL, my 50mm f F1.7 and my 50mm FA F1.4.

I own a 2004 350z touring edition in lemans Sunset color. I also own a 1971 240z in British Racing Green.

Ray