Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:38 AM   #11

I had this problem with my *IST D, cost $95 AU for repair. I haveno idea how the screen was broken, however at te time it was in my work bag, not the regular Lowepro bag it lives in. I assume that when I put the bag down near my chair, somethign in the bag must have knocked it. I cant imagine it breakign without some force.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:38 AM   #12

KEEGAN wrote:
Quote:
I have been in touch with Pentax UK and although they wont budge on their position re payment of £130 sterling for the repair (yes £130) (camera cost £790), 15 days after purchase. I have rattled their cage enough for them to investigate the strength and the flex inprotective perspex screen covering the LCD viewer and I alsointend to contact Pentax Japan directly.
When I purchased mine, I bought 3 years insurance at £70 which covers accidental damage as well as extending the warranty a further 2 years - given my previous experience of digital cameras going wrong JUST outside of warranty, I though that it was good value.

Do you have an 'all risks' household policy that would cover the expense.

Notwithstanding this, I agree with you that if you have not subjected the *ist DS to any undue force, then there could be a fundamental fault with the LCD screen AND YOU SHOULD BE EXPECTED TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT OF YOUR DIRECT DOING.

Could you confirm whether it's the colour LCD or the LCD screen on the top - sorry if I've missed this in the thread.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 3:59 PM   #13

Brilliant answer Perry
KEEGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:25 PM   #14

Yes I agree, this is exactly my point Karen, if the LCD screen cover was solid this would not have happend to your camera+the provision of an additional external plastic cover would be a welcome additionthe same as Nikon,Fuji,Minolta, etc.

Bet you cant take the camera out now without worrying about the screen !

takes the enjoyment out of it a bit, I do hope you have no further probs.

Cheers

Doug
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:37 PM   #15

Its the main Lcd Screen on the back of the camera the internal one.

Thanks for your support Catbells

I take it you ment I should not have to pay for any repair due to manufacturing defect ?
Yes I have contacted my Insurers and they said I am covered for this, BUT! they have said they would like to investigate the problem too, before any payout.

I am pleased about this,as they said if they had any similarclaims With Pentax cameras of this sort it might be worth their while looking closer, interesting !

rgs Doug

Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:19 PM   #16
KSV

Look, your story is very sad and you have all my compassions. But unless you prove that this is manufacture fault it would be very difficult to force them to fix it. And because it is not common issue it would be very difficult to prove that this is manufacture fault.

Good luck
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:25 PM   #17

Thanks KSV, we are in the process of doing just that !
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:40 PM   #18

Update on progress. Pentax refusing to accept any responsability, Shop of purchase doing the same.

My insurance company say the camera has a manufacturing defect !

Pentax Japan not interested ! will notdisclose any senior managers or directors names.

Still trying though, any one help with this ?

Rgs Doug
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:11 AM   #19

I hope I am not being rude but maybe there was something that pressed up against the screen and damaged it.

I have a DS and well, I haven't had a problem with the LCD.

Maybe, just maybe, it could have been carelessness or an accident on your part. I don't think LCD just break by themselves but I could be wrong.

Respectfully,

Bob
k8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:07 PM   #20

KEEGAN only took 15 images before he spotted the problem - you'd have to be pretty clumsy to get the LCD broken in that short space of time;I'm sure that he more than looked after it during that short period.

I don't know about any one else but I treat all cameras as precision instruments BUT they have to work & mine hangs around my neck for a 15 mile plus walk over stiles and whatever presents itself along the way. It has not suffered & neither to I expect it to, under such or perhaps even more extreme usage.

First, Pentax lay the blame at his door & demand payment for the repair.

Then the insurers (don't you just love them - they're only too willing to take your money, but not too keen to pay out) absolve themselves of responsibility claiming it's a manufacturing defect - heads KEEGANlooses, tails Pentax & the insurers wins.

I would have though that given the might of Pentax, they would & could make an exception in this case & as a gesture of good will, waive the repair costs.

As to the insurers, I'd drop them & go elsewhere if only to deprive them of the renewal premium.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote