Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:16 AM   #21

I would go back to the insurance company and ask them to prove that it was a manufacturers defect, which will be almost impossible since there have been almost no issues like this (I have found only one on other forums and they feel they broke the screen) from anyone else with a *istDS. Ask for a supervisor at the insurance company and work you way up the food chain until you get some satisfaction from them.

I have done that many times with insurance claims and have always come out with some sort of satisfactory conclusion on my claim.

What could they possibly be basing their decision on since there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE of this being a defect issue. I expect this is why Pentax is not willing to claim respinsibility for the problem, although they could certainly afford to fix it just for the PR.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:18 PM   #22

to K8ny 'Bob'

NO ! I have treated this with kid gloves Bob , and like Catbells said we should all treat our cameras as precision instruments, I dojust that probably more that most.

To in form you that it is my credit card insurance I have to claim, the baffling forms arrived today ???:?

I now have involvedUK trading standards and they say dont involve Pentax at the momentBut I must go tothe shop of purchase and demand my money back as it happend well within the first weeksGtee period.

under Uk law I must be refunded or an exchange given they will back this up.

if not then !

an independant repair specalist to inspect the camera for impact damage (and there is none} letter to be given to TS then on to small claims court if it ever comes to that I DO NOT INTEND TO LET THIS ONE GO I AM RIGHT.

thanks for your input Bob much appreciated Doug.
KEEGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:32 PM   #23

Thanks for your support Catbells, see reply to K8ny Bob.

I would expectall digital camerasto be stronger than film SLRS after all solid state devices are not ment to be harmed by shockas much as mechanical or semi-mechanical types.

I forgot to tell you Pentax informed me that the LCD Screen actually floats and is not physically attached to the cameras internal sub frame ??? I would like them to prove that !

cheers Doug
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:43 PM   #24

Yes you are right Tom a good will gesture would be good for all, as for the insurance company we'll have to wait and see.

As long as allparties have been informed in plenty of time and can act on whatever final course of action will be taken,

most of all I must thank you all again for your help and input to this problem as you can imagine I'm pussed off not having my new camera to use right now!!!

thanks Doug
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:30 AM   #25

Hi, just quick request for an update in regard to this issue.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:09 AM   #26

Hi Sianon,

latest is UK Trading Standards have got involved and have said my complaint is not with Pentax but with the seller 'who I wont name at this point'. however,

The seller has toprove a 'burden of proof ' and that I damaged the camera,therfore because the fault is internal to the cameramakes it more likely to be a camera fault and not incident damageby me.

An independent repair Tech has to assess for any external damage [ and there is none] , however when I went back to the shop to collect the camera to do this it was in a filthy stateand had marks all over it I refused to take it back, when I handed it back initally it was mint + fault.

It looked like someone had been checking it outwhile having a jam butty !! it's pathetic so their Director was ment to call but so far has not done so.

Upshot is under UK law I am entitled to my money back or a replacement camera. but after this it will never be another Pentax.

I will keep you updated thanks for your interest,

kind regards Doug
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:37 PM   #27

To Sianon, Karen I need to talk with you regarding your past ist DS problem ASAP

is there anyway we can talk by phone or private e;mail or maybe Steve could put us in touch its quite urgent,

thanks Doug.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:00 PM   #28

Update and conclusion of LCD Screen cracking problem.

First of all I want to thank Catbells for her input to this her help has been most useful a big THANKS to you.

After a few discusions about trading laws and various acts the shop said that they would repair the camera 'or get Pentax to repair it free of charge' and they did !

they asked me to pick it up and I re-fused and asked for my money back, I was entitled to do that according to UK trading standards, the shop said no ! I said give me another type of camera then ! and they did, I took a new Nikon D70s + lens, not as nice to look at as the Pentaxbut at least I wont be wondering when the screen will crack again, as much as I liked the Pentax I had lost faith in it totally.

The crux point is that in the Pentax instruction manual it specify's tobe careful with the LCDscreen, WHY ? even the shop Directornoticed that oneto quote him he said 'I wonder why they specifically point this out !' made him suspicious too obviously

Anyway I'm glad it's all over now, thanks to all of you for your help and advice and I do hope none of you have any problems like this, happy snapping

cheers Doug (any other info required just post)
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:00 PM   #29

Update and conclusion of LCD Screen cracking problem.

First of all I want to thank Catbells for her input to this her help has been most useful a big THANKS to you.

After a few discusions about trading laws and various acts the shop said that they would repair the camera 'or get Pentax to repair it free of charge' and they did !

they asked me to pick it up and I re-fused and asked for my money back, I was entitled to do that according to UK trading standards, the shop said no ! I said give me another type of camera then ! and they did, I took a new Nikon D70s + lens, not as nice to look at as the Pentaxbut at least I wont be wondering when the screen will crack again, as much as I liked the Pentax I had lost faith in it totally.

The crux point is that in the Pentax instruction manual it specify's tobe careful with the LCDscreen, WHY ? even the shop Directornoticed that oneto quote him he said 'I wonder why they specifically point this out !' made him suspicious too obviously

Anyway I'm glad it's all over now, thanks to all of you for your help and advice and I do hope none of you have any problems like this, happy snapping

cheers Doug (any other info required just post)
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:10 PM   #30
igo

What forum has 55,000 post about Pentax SLRs? I can't read enough.
igo is offline   Reply With Quote