Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:44 PM   #1

Has anyone had problems with the lcd screen cracking...... We may have discovered a potential major problem with this camera.

We have had this camera for 3 weeks taken 15 photographs with it and the screen cracked. We returned it to the Photo Shop where we purchased it and they returned it to Pentax UK.

Pentax have sent us a bill to repair it telling us it was damaged by us. They have been unable to explain the reason for this. They have not given us anclear explanation in order for us to understand what was required to damage the screen. How much force was required, to cause such major damage? They agree that there is no external damage AT ALL to the camera however inform us that the terms and conditions require us to be EXTRA CAREFUL with the screen.

WE KNOW we have not dropped or pressurised the screen in anyway...........therefore the fault may be that the perspex protection screen is Inadequate. For the job. ie it flexies inwardly unlike any other camera we have tested, such as the Nikon D70 Minolta D7 Fuji S2 and 3 and many other less expensive digital cameras. This is unique to Pentax, and as they have taken the opportunity to absolve themselves of any responsibility for this shortcomming by making it part of there disclaimer we feel the camera is not fit for the purpose........anyone agree?
KEEGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:24 PM   #2
KSV

Disagree :blah:. Never hear of anything like that before. However have a friends - their son have similar problem with Sony camera - no scratches with cracked LCD (with the same result BTW, Sony decline repaired it by warranty) - he was swearing that never drop camera or anything like that. Latter been discovered, that his bag been stomped by his friends. From another hand I have mysteriously damaged speaker - same story no-one even touch it. Later been discovered, that it was my little niece :lol:. Watch your environment.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:49 PM   #3

I am not extra careful with my screen and it is fine. It actually is more substantial than a friend of mines D70, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

What a ridiculous post!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:33 PM   #4

dont think it would be so rediciulous if it had happend to you !! Tom . just hope it doesent you've been warned.

Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:45 PM   #5

thanks KSV for your advice, no kids in our house though, I've been a professional photographer for 20 odd years now and had many different types of cameras and never only had 2 weeks use out of any of them, in factI still have aPentax ME and it is bomb proof.

just feel something is not right here Pentax dont even offer a guard for this screen

but the rest do ! all the best keep you posted.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:49 PM   #6

I am on another forum with over 55,000 posts so far concerning the Pentax SLR and no one has posted this problem, not one. I checked that forum before placing my first post on this issue to see if anyone over there had the same issue.

If it had happened to me I would be upset also, but since you seem to be the only one that this has happened to, it looks to me like it is something in your environment that caused the problem and not the camera.

Possibly all our screens will crack and then the reason will show up, but now mine is just fine and I really don't take that great care of the camera doing wildlife photography. I do the best I can but it gets banged around quite a bit and the screen looks like new.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:43 PM   #7

Thanks Tom, thats very reasuring knowing that amount of cameras are ok, maybe I have been unfortunate to have a rogue part in my camera who knows !

I have been in touch with Pentax UK and although they wont budge on their position re payment of £130 sterling for the repair (yes £130) (camera cost £790), 15 days after purchase. I have rattled their cage enough for them to investigate the strength and the flex inprotective perspex screen covering the LCD viewer and I alsointend to contact Pentax Japan directly.

I have been in touch with a corporate Lawyer and BSI standards officer. They feel I have a good case re, not fit for purpose asPentax advertise that it is a semi-professional device therefore the camera must be adequatelyrobust in manufacture for intended purpose. Also the due care and attention that I afford to all my equipment, it is in my best interest to beEXTRA careful with my expensive equipment.If I'm not, I would unable to carry out my business.

I will keep you posted Tom all the best.

Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:58 PM   #8

KEEGAN wrote:
Quote:
I have been in touch with Pentax UK and although they wont budge on their position re payment of £130 sterling for the repair (yes £130) (camera cost £790), 15 days after purchase. I have rattled their cage enough for them to investigate the strength and the flex inprotective perspex screen covering the LCD viewer and I alsointend to contact Pentax Japan directly.

I have been in touch with a corporate Lawyer and BSI standards officer. They feel I have a good case re, not fit for purpose asPentax advertise that it is a semi-professional device therefore the camera must be adequatelyrobust in manufacture for intended purpose. Also the due care and attention that I afford to all my equipment, it is in my best interest to beEXTRA careful with my expensive equipment.If I'm not, I would unable to carry out my business.

Quote:
Do you really think recovering £130 sterling isgoing to offset the cost of a corporate Lawyer? Maybelawyers don't charge as much as they do here, but even the full price of the camera is not going to covera couple of hours of an lawyers time. I am not saying you should not fight for what you think is right, but it looks like you are taking this to a level not warranted. Good luck,
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:38 PM   #9

Thats when its good to have these people in my family for advice, I can but try - after all I'm trying for all ist*DS owners, if there is a problem then I hope that you all will back me ?

thanks for the luck Snagglepuss31 (whatever happend to him anyway ?).
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:08 PM   #10

KEEGAN wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the luck Snagglepuss31 (whatever happend to him anyway ?).
He exited, stage right! :-)

- Perry.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote