Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:05 AM   #1

how do i get this to work. i've scoured the book but for some reason i can't get my manual ring flash to fire.

istDs
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:00 AM   #2

Im not 100% sure, but i can only use my really really old flash with a shutter of 1/180 or less. And i get a really overexposed picture, i have to investigate how to use it properly. But afaik i think you should be able sync with 1/250 the fastest? someone correct me
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:32 PM   #3

i can't get mine to fire. how do you do it.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:01 PM   #4
KSV

Try it in M mode. I am sure there is a way, but could not find it for you because I do not have manual flash :-(
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:35 PM   #5

i'm trying it in m mode. neither manual flash will fire.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:29 AM   #6

The flash only syncs with shutter speeds of 1/180 or slower. I use my *istDS with studio strobes with a hot shoe to PC sync adapter regularly and they work great so long as the shutter speed is 1/180 or slower.

The thing to keep in mind is your flash's trigger voltage. Older and some newer cheap flashes may have trigger voltages in the 100s of volts. Most digital cameras are designed to handle trigger voltages of 5-6 volts. An old vivitar I have put's out 200 volts! If you connect a high trigger voltage flash to a digital camera you could fry the camera's hot shoe trigger. Some camera's have protectioncircuits but I'm not sure of the *istDS's specs on the hot shoe.Unfortunately, I can't find the specs for the *istDS' hot shoe trigger voltage so I only use devices with 5 volts for the trigger.

Check the voltage on the terminals of your flash when it's turned on to see what the voltage is. If it's over 5-6 volts you may be putting your camera at risk or may even have damaged it already.

As for compensating for the over/underexposure of the flash, you really can't use shutter speed as it's too slow compared to the flash (1/180 max shutter speed whereas the flash fires at much higher speeds such as 1/1000 or higher). To compensate for the exposure adjust your aperture.

Here's what I do - I set my camera to manual, set the shutter speed to a value at or below 1/180 (say 1/125), set the aperture to F/16 and take a shot. I then review the shot with the histogram on and adjust the aperture to get the level of exposure I'm looking for.

Hope this helps!
geiim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:50 AM   #7

after trial and error i got it figured out. my ring flash will sync at f16-32, 1/180sec at macro distances.

has anyone firured out how to get high-speed flash sync in manual for the DS??