Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1

Hi,

Has anyonehad problems with the red focus point lights on their *istD? I bought my first dSLR (*istD) about 3 weeks ago and noticed while testing it at home that the top left AF point did not illuminate like the other 10 points when set using SEL AF.

CR Kennnedy (AUstralian Pentax distributor) here in Ozadvised thatthey've never heard of the problem and have offered to have a look at it for me, but the truth is I've been having WAY too much fun with my new dSLR to hand it over right now. It's not a huge problem as there is an indicator for the AF point on the bottom of the view finder but is somewhat annoying given the price of my new little toy. It would just be nice if everything worked perfectly.

I almost exchanged the camera at the store where I purchased it. They had to courier a replacement over from interstate, but when I looked at the replacement *istD it had the exact same problem. Same AF point indicator light too! I kept my original camera since it was a 50 year anniversary (Pentax Australia) model and has gold badging instead of white (just a gimmick)... more importantly it seemed a lot more responsive the the other.

The upside is that I still consider the *istD to be a fantastic camera. I picked up a cheap of K-mount 135mm f2.8 prime and it works a treat with the little green button providing stopped down metering. Very happy!

Any input into the red AF indicator problem would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quang
doanqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2

Never heard of this problem. I guess I will have to check mine when I get home....

Perry.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:30 PM   #3
KSV

I have *istDS (not *istD). Never notice anything like that. But I have change focusing system to central dot - I am more happy with this settings. So my suggest would be change focusing system to those dot witch does not work (*istDS has such a useless gimmick, do not know about *istD) and have a try.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:11 PM   #4

Hi KSV,

Thanks for the response. I think I was a little unclear with the problem. The AF still works for that particular point andI can seethe setting by the display at the bottom of the viewfinder. It's only the red indicator lightsuperimposing over the focus screen which doesn't seem to work. It's not a problem functionally for taking photos, just strange that one indicator would be dead on an otherwise perfectly functional camera.

Generally I just use the centre AF pointanyway. The different AF selection points will be more usefulwhen I start spending more time composing my shots. The *istD is a bit more functional when it comes to selecting AF points. I just leave the AF dial setting on SEL and can then alter the AF point anytime using the 4-point toggle button (which is only a little fiddly). I did notice when playing with the *istDS in the store that you need to go into the menu to make the same adjustments, so I guess it would seem more of a hassle or gimmick if you own an *istDS.

Cheers,

Quang
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:34 AM   #5

Hi Perry,

Could you let me know if all your *istD AF lights are working ok? I suspect they will be and that the problem is just a dud batch released in Australia late last year. I've read some controversial posts on various forums about the reliability of Pentax's QC department - not sure if any of the conjectures are true though.

On a brighter note, I've been very happy with the picture quality, intuitive layout and ease of use of my *istD. Having had yours a lot longer, what's your opinion?

Quang
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6

doanqc wrote:
Quote:
Hi Perry,

Could you let me know if all your *istD AF lights are working ok? I suspect they will be and that the problem is just a dud batch released in Australia late last year. I've read some controversial posts on various forums about the reliability of Pentax's QC department - not sure if any of the conjectures are true though.

On a brighter note, I've been very happy with the picture quality, intuitive layout and ease of use of my *istD. Having had yours a lot longer, what's your opinion?

Quang
Quang,

I did not get a chance to check last night. I will check when I get home later today. I would not pay too much attention to forum complaints. You get a biased view of any product or company reading internet groups. People that have problems are much more vocal than those who are happy with their cameras.

I have had my *istD for about 15 months. I have been very pleased with it in most regards. I wish the low light AF was better but most of my use is outdoors. I also wish that Pentax compressed their raw files like Canon and Nikon. I just do not have the card space to utilize raw as much as I would like too.

The biggest complaint I have with the camera is that the ISO is not displayed oneither the LCD or in the viewfinder. Like most users I have made the mistake of not resetting the ISO to a lower value and gotten pictures that were needlessly noisy because they were taken at ISO 1600. Image "softness" is not a factor when you use decent lenses. Yes the imagesneed to be sharpened for monitor viewing, but I will batch process images that I am putting on my web page anyway.

The *istD is not the fastest camera in its class, but I have never filled the buffer and had to wait to take another photo. Of course this is related to my style and subject matter. If I was a pro sports photog' this would be an issue but for my use it is not.

Overall I am very happy with my choice.

Perry.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:11 PM   #7

Quang,

All 11 af point lights are working on my *istD. Not sure how they work to even speculate why just one (and the same one) is not working on more than one camera. While I usually just leave the camera set to the center point, having the option to change them is pretty handy. This is especially true with the camera mounted on a tripod.

Perry.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:44 PM   #8

Perry,

Thanks for the comments and details on your camera.

The dead AF point is a problem which I'm probably better off living with than trying to get fixed. It doesn't affect the camera's performance and that's what's most important. The last thing I want to do is have it "looked" at and sent off for repairs which would most likely involve dismantling. In my experience an electronicgadget is never quite the same once it's been dismantled and "serviced".

It's good to hear that you're still quite happy with your camera. As it's the first Pentax dSLR I was concerned that there might be problems associated with it's durability such as malfunctioning over time and extensive use. Nice that you've noticedno fault issuesover 15 months.

Cheers,

Quang
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:36 PM   #9
KSV

I also have all 11 points working perfectly OK. If your working but just not lit, I would be totally agree with you that it would be better live with that than have camera "serviced". Can not comment on *istD because have *istDS, but so far I am very happy with my choice and almost forgot how much I have paid - starting to think about couple of primes :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:52 AM   #10

Hi KSV,

I highly recommend using primes - for me the faster the better. I'm not sure how easy the old ones will be to use with the DS, but my manual K-mount 135mm f2.8 is fantastic on the D. The fast shutter speed allows me to take crispy telephoto shots without the need for a tripod. This will be extremely useful when I'm 50m up and tied into a belay station on a multi-pitch climb taking pictures of my mates on another route. MySMC-A 50mm f1.7also performs very well with the camera, although a 200mm f2.8 would be sweet!Manual focus is a little tricky without a split prism, but if you have a good eyethere should be no problems. Then again, you can always fork out for a new (or second-hand) AF prime and have the additional advantage of the camera's continuous AF tracking.

Quang