Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:52 AM   #1

I recently upgraded to the istds and have never used a SLR before of any type. previous to this I have used a Sony Cybershot 3.2 cam. I purchased the new cam because I was given thousands of "omg ..yes...you have to buy a digital SLR" when I asked for advice on a new cam. I was wanting to purchase a 8mp digi cam, with a good zoom, but went with all the advice i was given by everyone i asked about it.

My problem is I need to use this camera to take product shots for my work, I am extremely busy, self employed and also a Mum .. I am just very restricted with free time. I've had my cam for 4 weeks and I've used it 3 times. I am extremely intimidated by it, and can't seem to get a grip on the way a SLR works. All the different settings confuse the hell out of me, and I really don't know how to use this cam.

I have studied the manual and I have been experimenting trying to figure it all out, however it's still swimming around in my head and I can't grasp it all.

Does anyone know of a very simplified tutorial on SLR cameras, or better still a friendly user guide to this cam? If not, would anyone have time to write something for me, in laymans terms, on what the different functions of this camera are?

I'm not stupid, I just really am intimidated by all the terms and features, and none of it makes much sense to me. ISO and apperture mean so very little to me.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
nemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:45 AM   #2

If you need to know anything, just google it. Searching for just SLR, gave this:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/photo_world/kumon/

which is pretty much anything you need to know explained. Hope this helps
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:53 PM   #3

thank youit is definately something i have been searching for. I've actually spent quite a bit of time on google looking for something like this and that is exactly how i found this forum. i was typing in tutorials though, and i guess that was the difference...it's all in the key words. thanks again.

if anyone else has the time to write in layman's terms what the different settings are for, for the isds, it would be more than appreciated. or quite simply what you use the differnt settings for, and which is your fav and why. i've had feedback to use the Av setting, but unless I use a tripod the focus can sometimes be a bit ordinary. the shutter took quite a bit to go off, and the slight movement of my hand created blur. I think for now I'll stick to the auto setting and use the lense manually to focus and zoom. :-)
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:38 PM   #4

Why don't you read Steves review on this site, which shows you all the controls and explains how they work?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/istds.html

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:02 PM   #5

The fact that it's an SRL shouldn't really make too much difference.

Can I suggest that you basically leave the settings on default & select 'P' mode. Simply point the camera at the subject, adjust the zoom to compose the shot & press the shutter.

If there's too much sky or back lighting, point the camera down to get exposure lock (press the shutter half way to read the exposure and press the AE lock button - the * symbol appears in the viewfinder). Bring the camera back to position that you want - refocus by pressing the shutter half way & take the shot.

The only change that you might want to make is take the focus off auto use Swtch dst msr pt to select one of the eleven AF points. This allows you to manually select 1 of 11 focusing points rather than have the focus system predict which one the camera will use.

Start off keeping it simple & your confidence should increase as you become more familiar with the camera.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:48 PM   #6

Many Many thanks to both of you, for that information. It is the most helpful information I have received in any form to date. I have reccommeded this forum site to a few of my freinds in an art forum I belong to, and given the link. I'm sure that they will be able to find it just as helpful as I did.