Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:05 AM   #1

Hello,

Owner of the Panasonic FZ's and have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy using them.

As far as sports photography it has been a mixed bag for outdoor sports and miserable for indoor. Just the limitations of the camera and most likely the user.

I know the DSLR is not the magic bullet but I find it to be possbile more so than not as in the case of the FZ's to get good to excellent sports shots.

Any insight on what you have found using your Pentax *1st D for sports shooting?

Due to price the 300D Rebel looked good, the Sports Mode locks in at 400 iso. Not useable most times for indoor shots. I am not sure why one can't go to Shutter Priority and up the iso that way. I don't have either camera but I would like to know how this Pentax *1st D fares in the sports shooting department.

Thanks,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:29 PM   #2

shooting action i've found can be done w/any cam as long as you can lock the focus.

i shoot with a DS and a fuji s7000, both FINE cams. i do boston terrier recue and there are a number of people with them that meet once a month. there is ALWAYS a lot of action.

go here for fuji shots
http://www.texasbostons.com/album/

and go here for istDS shots.
http://www.texasbostons.com/dogpark_march/

what i do is lock the shutter where i know there is going to be action and then shot it in burst mode, usually3-5 shots at a time. i'll set the iso higher if i have to.

theistDS does an outstanding job of low noise at the higher iso settings.

please remember i'm just starting to try with action shots.

roy
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:31 PM   #3

and the istds goes all the way to iso3200
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with my current digicams is that they only go up to iso 400 and the noise is not acceptable. The setting of 1/125(1/250 is a no way proposition)at iso 400 is rather dark and in post-process it is nothing that I would put to print. That is the best I can do with what I have.

The plus is that the Pentax can go up to iso 3200 like the Canon 20D.

It looks like I have narrowed down and so far the Pentax looks to be the best bang for the buckDSLR camera out there.

I looked at your links and find that the Pentax does very well in delivering what I would expect from a DSLR.

Mahalo,

Tom
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:05 PM   #5
Administrator

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Due to price the 300D Rebel looked good, the Sports Mode locks in at 400 iso. Not useable most times for indoor shots. I am not sure why one can't go to Shutter Priority and up the iso that way.
Tom:

Since you're looking at both models, the Digital Rebel is capable of using higher ISO Speeds (1600 without the hack, 3200 with it), in modes other than Sports Mode.

For example, you could use it in either Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority Modes at higher ISO speeds. Many users simply go with Av (Aperture Priority) mode, setting Aperture Wide Open (lowest f/stop value), so that the camera can pick the fastest shutter speeds available forthe ISO speed selected.

The problem with the Digital Rebel is that AI Servo Autofocus (Canon's tracking Autofocus) is only available in Sports Mode (and Sports Mode is limited to ISO 400 with the DRebel). So, if you go with a different mode (Aperture Priorityor Shutter Priority) so that you can use higher ISO speeds, you lose AI Servo Autofocus. Catch 22. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6

I dont know why these companies set things like constant autofocusing to only the sports scene modes. It should be a bloody menu option, there is no reason why it can work only on sports mode. You should be able to turn constant focusing for any mode on the camera.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:39 AM   #7

Thanks for clearing that up JimC. I was unaware of the auto focus not being useable beyond the 400 iso in Sports mode.

I did find out about the Wasia Hack but not so sure about using it to begin with.

This helps even more in my decision once and for all and cancels my visit with a friend who has a Digital Rebel but does not use it all that often to know much about Sports shooting.

The need for AI Servo Autofocus at a higher iso is necessary IMHO. It is good to know that you can still use the aperture and shutter priority modes but without the AI Servo Autofocus I don't think it will be the camera of my choice.

Pentax it is.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:08 AM   #8
Administrator

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I was unaware of the auto focus not being useable beyond the 400 iso in Sports mode.
Autofocus works fine, just not AI Servo Autofocus (Canon's term for it's tracking AF), unless you're in Sports Mode.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:10 PM   #9

Thanks again for the information.