Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:09 AM   #11

ooh, yes. a very expensive trail to start to travel. and I just need one moe lense please, promise it will be my last but a macro is very much needed/wanted .
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:35 PM   #12

I'm also looking at the *istDS versus the Rebel XT. To me, the DS was the right size and felt comfortable. Holding the XT, my fingers felt cramped. What the difference is, I don't know, but something was noticable. I was also looking at the DiMage A200, but I think I want an SLR first.

However, shooting with the DS in the local camera store, I had to wait 2-4 seconds between shots. This is not unreasonable after using a P&S, but I want something faster. I then used the XT and that could take shots as fast as I could take em.

Is this true, or was the memory card or batteries on that unit slower than others? I was shooting with a flash with the kit lens. Turning off the flash really didn't help that much.

I really like the DS, I like it more than any other camera I've seen to date. But I do need faster shooting than that. What have others experienced?
MictXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:41 PM   #13

Some reasons from me to buy Pentax DS over canon 300/350

- 30 years of complete lens compatibilty (still some great deals on bright high quality manual lenses on ebay)
- Good high ISO performance
- JPEG performance is better than Canon Shill reviews give it credit for! unless maybe you print to poster size, then use RAW mode
- Fantastic RAW performance
- Largest viewfinder in it class (a major point for me to get DSLR over prosumer was an optical viewfinder, so why settle with a crippled tunnel like optical viewfinder?)
- Sturdy build (full steel sub frame)
- Great Ergonomics
- 2" High resolution LCD screen to check/preview your shots
- Good quality kit lens (although Nikon and Oly do have this too)
joele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:47 PM   #14

MictXP wrote:
Quote:
Is this true, or was the memory card or batteries on that unit slower than others? I was shooting with a flash with the kit lens. Turning off the flash really didn't help that much.
If they had a slow SD card in it, like the standard Sandisk cards (these are real slow) then yes the memory card will make a diffence to the cameras performance.... mine does not take anywhere near that long between shots, I am not sure what the problem was in that case? maybe in RAW mode with a real slow card and low batteries? who knows?
joele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:47 PM   #15
wll

Canon has great lenses at the present time, but Pentax will get going and have the quality digital lenses as time goes on very shortly.

I bought Pentax because the ist Ds fills my needs and when they come out with a replacement for the istD I will get it.

I picked up the Rebel XT and it felt cheap and did not fit my hands well.

The ist is VERY well laid out and very easy to make adjustments, as a matter of fact it is the easyest camera to adjust that I've ever had. (I have 2 Nikon 4500's and a Nikon 8400).

I bought 4 Tamron lenses (17-35, 28-75, 100 Macro and there 28-300) the 28-300 is the only one that special care must be taken (tripod) when shooting in low light or long tele shots. I bought these because dollar for dollar they do what I need and do it very well. If I were making my living in photography I may do something different (but the 17-35, 28-75 and the 90 Macro are truly VERY, VERY good lenses, while the 28-300 covers a wide range and is above average in performance).

I would not hesitate to buy another ist Ds.

Plus ..... I would NEVER own a camera that is called a Rebel, what kind of a commercial garbage name is that? I wish they would have called it the 350 like they do in every other country.

wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:45 AM   #16

joele wrote:
Quote:
If they had a slow SD card in it, like the standard Sandisk cards (these are real slow) then yes the memory card will make a diffence to the cameras performance....
Sandisk, 32 MB card. I had a feeling that was it -- I asked the 16 year old behind the counter (this was Kitz photo), and he said it doesn't matter the card you put in the camera, except with professional cameras. I didn't check to see if it was JPEG or RAW, but I really should have. He also said the Dimage A200 was a professional, $1600 camera. Hmmm.... And I don't know the batteries, didn't check, but they could have been Akaline.

Good to know it doesn't take 4 seconds. I've tried finding the Shot to shot time in another review -- anyone have a spot for that?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:45 AM   #17

::sorry for the double post::
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:24 PM   #18

Just an opinion but, I have used both cameras, the Pentax is smaller but has a more substantial feel. Both take excellent pictures.

My biggest draw to the Pentax is that this is the only company which has kept total backward compatability with its earlier lenses. If you buy a Canon you need EOS lenses, some are expensive and others are cheap and poorly made, however with the Pentax you can use old K and M series lenses with manual focus and manual aperture, you can use excellent A series manual focus lenses with most other features intact, and of course you have all of the F and FA autofocus glass. Hell you can even dig up some old screw mount lenses with names like Carl Zeiss and Takumar. (This of course means lots of very inexpensive high quality glass available on eBay) I have used an early K lens on a DS and found that it worked very effectively with a minimum of hassle (unless you call manually focusing and pressing the AE-L button complex). The excellent viewfinder screen of the Pentax is also much nicer than the tunnel visioned Canon.

The fact that the Pentax can use NiMH AA batteries and even alkaline or lithium cells is also a plus to me, I have never been much of a fan of proprietary Li-ion batteries (the new Rebel XT has switched to an even smaller lower capacity battery).

Nuf said

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote