Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:46 PM   #1

Whats a better choice between the Rebel and the istDS and why? What other cameras are in the same price range and would comapred. I tried out the istDS and it seems pretty nice. Haven't had a chance to try out any other ones. Just lokoing for everyones comments.

Thanks Mark
Markncrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:19 PM   #2

The *ist DS has 11 focus points, it has a manual focus that works even when the cameras powered down so you can compose the shot before you power up the camera, it's smaller, the ISO can be pushed to 3200, it looksthe business& by golly it is better..

Oh - I forgot to mention that it uses AA rechargeables which last for ever!!
Shame about the SD memory but that's life.

but then I'm biased because I chose the *ist DS over the Rebel.

Check out sample images here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

These ladybirds were taken with the 'kit lens' set to macro & FL 55mm
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:18 PM   #3

i haven't really used the kit lens much but it looks like i'll start.

the Ds IMHO is a much more solidly built.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:11 AM   #4

As requested by Markncrys, here's an image of some coins:

Handheld, 1/125S, f19, Shutter Priority, closest focus, FL-55 focused in the center of the image.

Oh. In case you were wondering, that's all the change I've got left after my *ist DS purchase - just kiddin'.

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:44 AM   #5

i'm deffinately going to start using the kit lens more. it's just i had all these others.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:44 PM   #6
KSV

My reasons at point of buying:

1. Solid build

2. Backward lens compatibility

3. AA batteries

4. SD card

5. Feeling. Subjective one, but for some reason it feels like camera, not like computerized device for image capturing

More reasons after using for a while:

1. Everything though through incredibly well

2. Camera very easy to use

3. All controlsplaced logically and they are naive to use
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:19 PM   #7

OK, from a non-pro/technical point of view, and hands on experience with both.

I received my DS 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier! At work, we just got the Digital Rebel Last Friday.

First thoughts were WOW, the Rebel sure looks nicer than my DS. I was starting to get jealous. Then I started to use it.

OK, I have had two weeks with my DS, but as of yet, I have not had to refer to the manual. I spent today having to refer to the manual for the Rebel on several occasions. Here are some of my biggest observasions.

1. On the Rebel, the controls are all over the place and uncomfortable to use. On the DS, they are all right there were you can almost use just one hand.
2. The shutter sound on the DS is LOUD compared to the Rebel.
3. On the Rebel, you cannot (as far as I can find out) use the RAW format in ALL modes. The DS you can.

I bought the DS because I have several Pentax SLRs and plenty of lenses. That was my biggest reason. If it had not been for that, I might have purchased the Rebel. There was no place in town that stocked the DS, so my only experience was reading reviews. I was able to go to my local Sears and pick up the Rebel. (though, with no power there is only so much you can do). Right now, I am happy with my DS. Maybe after some time with the Rebel, I'll come to like it.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:42 PM   #8

Yeah for me trying to make a decision is very tough. Went I decided I wanted a new camera I just planned on buying Nikon so I could get some sort of macro and the extra MP so I could get a little better pictures.(Had a 2Mp Kodak with macro from 2ft away). One I got to looking around and stuff I seemed to think I need a camera with more options and controls. Then I stopped by the local Ritz Camera and asked about the Nikons. Tried out the 4800 with its 8.3zoom. Wow that was nice. Then for the heck of it I tried out the istDS and that was nice but really WAY more than I wanted to spend. Now I have been thinking and still having a hard time deciding on a P&S or DSLR. And if a DSLR then between the Rebel and the istDS. I know the Rebel is about $100 cheaper than the istDS. Can't find the IstDs cheaper than I think around $750 US. The Nikon I can get for $286. So for me I have been debating these past few days. I really appreciate everyones help and comments also.
Markncrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:40 PM   #9

if $$$ means that much then youreally should get the p%s because once you get a dslr then ''you will ALWAYS be one lens SHORT''
Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:17 PM   #10
KSV

robar wrote:
Quote:
...because once you get a dslr then ''you will ALWAYS be one lens SHORT''
:-) It is so-o-o-o bloody true....
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote