Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1
wll

After many, many, many months of weighing the options, Nikon, Canon and Pentax, I went out and bought a istDS today.

The reason is that even though I like Nikon a lot, and Canon has great lenses and a great CMOS sensor, I think Pentax is going to have some very good products in the VERY near future.

The 12-24 lens, the 100 macro, the 16-40 standard, I will buy shortly. I will wait for the high performance 50-210 in the next year.

I bought the DS because I feel the D is to be replaced in the next few months and when the new camera is available I will pick it up.

The size was a VERY BIG FACTOR, I want a small package and don't want to carry around tons of stuff.

I have posted many times and own 2 Nikon 4500's, a Nikon 8400, and an old Canon A50 Zoom, all great cameras, but I've always liked Pentax and their lenses are VERY good for the money spent.

If Nikon had a D80 that was smaller than the D70 I might have thought different, but Pentax lenses are usually smaller and that is an important point.

The other factor is, getting all the equipment I want that is good quality, the Nikon and Canon are VERY, VERY expensive.

If I was a pro that would be a different matter but I'm not so Pentax gets my vote.

As in my other post, I will use this camera and there next generation camera for insert shots in magazines and our company brochure, and I'm sure it will be fine. I have used a Canon A50 for such type of thing and the images have been more than enough.

wll

wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:29 AM   #2

willi think you made a great decision and all for the right reasons.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:32 AM   #3

I agree with you! I have a Canon G3 and will continue to use it, but my loyalty still remains with Pentax. I have owned an ME and MX and PZ 10 and PZ 20...all good cameras.

Now I own a istDS and each day I enjoy it more and more. I just wish Pentax marketed their products more effectively so that more would know of the quality of their product.

whbroker
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4

whbroker wrote:
Quote:
I agree with you! I have a Canon G3 and will continue to use it, but my loyalty still remains with Pentax. I have owned an ME and MX and PZ 10 and PZ 20...all good cameras.

Now I own a istDS and each day I enjoy it more and more. I just wish Pentax marketed their products more effectively so that more would know of the quality of their product.

whbroker
AGREED!!!!!!!!!