Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:52 PM   #31
KSV

Geoff,

I think you are dead right about "natural" v "vivid". My understanding is Pentax deliberately lock this "vivid" setting (as well as other stuff) to picture modes to make newbe life easier and autopix mode bullet proof (this is why I mainly use aperture mode). As for me it is perfectly OK - do not like make around then choose autopix mode and shoot, like to be more creative - you in charge. What I think you are wrong about is about DPR attitude. Phil is not stupid under any means - he is just doing everything what he ever can to rubbish all brand but Canon (IMHO). So I believe that this point was just made-up - for me it is not such a big issue - in fact it is not an issue at all comparing to mediocre metering system in 350D witch cose blow out lights and never been mentioned in Phils review.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:37 PM   #32

Since I'm looking to justify moving out of the Canon camp into the Pentax one with the ist DS, what IS your user experience with the camera? I've been told by another reviewer that he thinks the XT is the better camera, but this forum discussion seems to say otherwise!
I've previously posted my question under a new topic before I saw this thread, but I'll look to you guys n' gals to respond, please.
Can you users honestly help me justify moving to the Pentax ist DS camp from Canon with the sole criterias being better photos and better equipment?
I'm new enough at this not to have a major investment in Canon, so I'm more than willing to cut my losses with the dumbed down rebel 300D I own and take the plunge.
BTW, I agree that DPR was harshly biased AGAINST the ist DS!
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:18 AM   #33
KSV

By definition no-one can be unbiased in dedicated forum :-). And asked topic has been already discussed - have a look for example here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80- mine comment in this discussion as well :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:12 AM   #34

KSV: Not quite! There is a SIGNIFICANT difference with the Rebel 300D and the XT (350D). Your link covers ONLY the model I currently own-the 300D. Therefore, the question remains legitimate.
Re-read my questions as my concerns are legitimate. I would hope, based on the passionate discussions I've read here, that Pentax folks could assure me that I would be making the best decision of my relatively new expereince with digital cameras by choosing the *ist DS over the Rebel XT! Anyone, including you, care to step up to the plate and answer my simple plea with an honest answer about this concern? Remember, I'm a student on a limited income who's as passionate about good photography as any of you folks and who desires the best possible solution I can afford! I THINK it will be the *ist DS, but I would like some response from current owners. I've already had an e-mail from a national reviewer who wrote an article raving about it who said HE'D buy the XT over the *ist DS, which I thought was disingenuous of him to praise a camera on one hand and then say it sucks compared to another when asked directly for his opinion!
Any takers to answer me?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:12 AM   #35

Oh! An additional thought for everyone. I will NOT reveal the name of this person, as the purpose of these forums as I understand them is to enlighten each other and sing the praises and virtues of a brand of camera and/or other equipment! Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:08 AM   #36

Pentax*stDS and the reason I bought it over Nikon & Canon

I can use all lenses Pentax ever made for 35mm and still use the meter including screw mount. The photo in the link below was shot with a screw mount 17mm Pentax lens and metered with the internal meter in the DS.d Try that with the XT with a 35 year old Canon lens!

http://www.computerartscompany.com/Ford_PU_Sm.jpg

The view finder is much brighter.

ISO 200 is equal to ISO 100 on other DSLR's

High ISO is less noisy up to 3200

Stainless steel frame, light weight and feels better in my hands than XT of D70- Great Ergonomics.

1.9 Mega pixels is an insignificant difference, as I have made 16"x20" sharp photos from the DS using RAW which can be used in all modes.

XT blows out highlights where the DS does not in the same situation.

The buffer is a minor issue as I never use burst mode.

AA batteries can be purchased anywhere in an emergency.

I use spot meter most of the time and there is 11 point metering.

The kit lens on all DSLR's is a marginal lens compared to other choices, although the Pentax Kit Lens is pretty good.

All controls placed logically and are easy to use.

I am pleased with my choice of the DS and have no Canon envy at all.

The best advice is to check them all out yourself and then make your choice instead of doing what others tell you to do.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:27 AM   #37

Thank you! I appreciate SOMEONE finally stepping up to the plate and hitting a home run on this! Interestingly, I ran into the Canon/Nikon bigotry when I called my local distributor in Atlanta, GA to inquire about the *ist DS availability. he spent 25 minutes telling me all the reasons NOT to buy it and to get a C/N instead!
When I finally got a word in to explain MY side, he went off on the supposed lack of quality in Pentax lenses vs. the others! Personally, I find it VERY hard to believe, seeing the incredible photos you all have demoed on this thread, that a company could even survive as long as Pentax has without quality glass. BTW, he also informed me the new Nikon D70-which shares the same CCD as the *ist DS, as I understand it- will ONLY be upgraded to USB 2.0 and some minor tweaks-no pixel increase. Interesting! Given that and your excellent rationale, I will shortly be joining the Pentax camp! Hooray! another Pentax convert! 8o)
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:36 AM   #38

OH! ENNACAC; Great shot of the old PU! Nice tonality and NO blowouts in what, I'm sure, was a difficult shot! Sure couldn't do that with a C or N camera in that price range! Any thoughts on a first lens for this camera? I'd thought about the SMCP-FA 43mm F/1.9 Limited as kind of a "do-all" until I get the stash to expand the lens collection ("But, honey, all I need is just this ONE MORE LENS to have all I need!" 8o)) Or, maybe the new SMCP-DA 40mm F/2.8 Limited digital-specific lens? Anyone???
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:14 PM   #39

I am on the road right now stealing band width from a local Motel parking lot, but I guess I would go with the 43mm Limited as a all around lens.

Don't forget to look at the local shops for used Pentax glass (especially those that are C/N anal) as it is some of the best glass around and goes fairly cheap in some shops.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:36 PM   #40

Thanks! I've ordered my *istDS w/kit lens and the 43mm Limited. Can't wait to get 'em! It'll be about three weeks and then I'LL post some pics from here in Georgia (USA).
Any other person have some lens thoughts for this camera? (Gotta start planning to justify to my honey!) ;o)