Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:33 PM   #41
KSV

macdaddy wrote:
Quote:
KSV: Not quite! There is a SIGNIFICANT difference with the Rebel 300D and the XT (350D). Your link covers ONLY the model I currently own-the 300D. Therefore, the question remains legitimate.
I do not think so. All my points why I have chosen *istDS over Rebel remains and there are no such dramatic difference between 300D and 350D - I have read somewhere Canon fan post - he just upgrade from 300D to 350D and warn all folks to think twice before doing that - differences in his opinion not as much to consider upgrade. Also I do not really believe that *istDS better than 350D in all respects - I gave you reasons why it is BETTER FOR ME. Keep in mind that everyone can have different opinion and if for me SD is plus for someone else it is minus.Both cameras are excellent, have own proc and concand surely can deliver beautiful pix when handed properly. Everything about personal choice and personal taste, and BTW I do not believe that changing camera will makeany improvementsin your pix - no camera takes pix, but photographer does.I personally have chosen *istDS and do not regret, so I trust that everyone who have passion for photographywill be happy owner as well. Good luck!

PS. Just a curiosity. If you are "a student with limited income", how you can afford second DSLR plus place an order for quite anexpensive prime? I can not complain about myincome plus have working wife and still can not afford this :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:08 AM   #42

KSV:
Simple. First, the equipment I'm trading in almost equaled the value here in the USA of the *ist DS kit PLUS the 43mm F/1.9 Limited prime. (Less than a $100 difference) Secondly, I'm a "non-traditional" student-56 year old RIF-ed IT guy going back for a teaching certification. I'm "Broke" in that I'm only able to find part-time work while in school that is about 1/10th of my former income! and this is likely to be the case for the next 2 years while I finish.
My wife works, too and our income is quite tight as well but I'm certainly willing-with her agreement- to sacrifice a few trips to the local burger joints to get this package. So, as they'd say in Hollywood, "That's a wrap".
And, yes, I agree with both your points that the XT isn't the giant evolutionary leap Canon and various reviewers are trying to make it and that the *ist DS is a superior camera. That's why, after three months of testing, weighing the options and some SERIOUS research I've traded my Canon stuff and ordered the *istDS! Also, DPR's review WAS biased. We should all thank Steve his wasn't; RIGHT??
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:28 PM   #43

You made the right choice and you won't be sorry.

The *stDS camera should be something you can use for the next two years and find great pleasure in using it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:11 PM   #44
KSV

macdaddy wrote:
Quote:
KSV:
Simple......
Sorry if I have offended you in any way :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:12 PM   #45

Thanks, ENNACAC! I'm a relatively decent photographer who was being limited by equipment deliberately being dumbed down by it's manufacturer; a fact I resented when I finally figured that out!
I was blessed to be able to actually spend about 3 hours this last weekend using an *istDS hands on and it was absolutely the one factor that pushed me over the edge! What an incredibly responsive camera! As Mike Johnston said "It's the K1000 of digital cameras and just 'feels right' when you use it."
To me, it restored the joy of photography in those 3 hours because I felt like I was in control of the creative process, not the camera!
Too bad a reviewer can't quantify THAT! And I have looked as high up the camera food chain as the Canon 20D and Nikon D100 without finding the "feel" I found with this camera.
KSV is right to a large extent that it's the photographer, not the equipment, but the RIGHT equipment can take your creative juices to a whole higher plain! I look forward to posting some pics when I get mine in about 2 weeks!
Rob
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:19 PM   #46

KSV:
I'm a thick skinned old fart and it would take a HECK ofa lot more that THAT to send me off! Remember, I spent 20+ years in IT and have been cussed at by the likes of Ted Turner hisself for perceived problems, so it ain't nothin'!
In fact, I appreciate the input! You ALL have been terrific; I just wish there was some way to convey in words the unbelieveably INCREDIBLE "feel" of this camera!
For me, using it this weekend was like going from a Yugo to a BMW Z4 in terms of quality and feel. This camera has GOT to be the steal of the decade and we should be grabbing all our camera-buying friends and telling them "You gotta try this one!"
I look forward to posting some of my admittedly inferior to yours photos and promise to do so ASAP!
Rob