Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:11 PM   #1

DP Review gave the *isD a Highly Recommended result but the *istDS only gets recommended - kind of strange as the latter is surely based on the former.

It's image processor gets criticised for producing poor quality JPEGs & is summed up saying that's is OK if you intendto shoot inRAW image format.

Great lengths were take to make comparisons between JPEG & RAW which surprisingly came out in favour with RAW - I would have been horrified if it was anything different.

Here's asimple comparison that I did. Yes the RAW image is better (it should be) but the JPEG also looks pretty good to me.

I guess that it's always nice to have a reviewer produce better than average comments about the camera that you just spent painstaking hours over selecting BUT no matter what DPR says, I like my *istDS and it will serve me well over the months & years ahead.

All shots taken using Shutter Priority with Image Enhanced i.e. default setting
TV: 1/125S
Av: f8
ISO: 200
FL: 82mm (35mm equivqlent)

JPEG image image histogram adjusted & UnSharpMask applied.
Adobe converted RAW image histogram adjusted & UnSharpMask applied.
Pentax PhotoLab - straight conversion.

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:55 PM   #2

I would put it straight across the board JPeg-worse, Adobe-middle, and Pentax Photolab the best. Sort of sums up the DPreview findings. But we are looking at the pics on a computer screen and not printed real life so to speak.. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:51 PM   #3

Following on from my earlier comments, I've revisited a number of other camera reviews at DP Review to discover that the Pentax*istDS is the only recent one to have JPEG directly compared with RAW.

I would imagine that if the reviewer performed the same exercise, then similar results would be visible for those cameras.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:17 AM   #4
KSV

IMHO DPR (as well as many others sites including this) biased toward Canon/Nikon. It is understandable why - their (C/N) fans form wast majority of photoshooters population. Plus from my observation while Nikon fans usually OK, Canon ones got virtually no tolerance to other brands (well, as any generalization it is not necessarily always true :-) ). So IMHO this "poor JPG performance" was justmade up - everybody know that RAW better and all camera have similar problem at certain degree. They (DPR) could not say that *istDS "Highly Recommended", because it became no worse that 300D/D70! If DPR would rated *istDS "No worse than 300D", imagine what would happens then in Canon camp with their "Canon superior to anything else" attitude!!! So forgive them and happy shooting! :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:57 AM   #5

KSV wrote:
Quote:
IMHO DPR (as well as many others sites including this) biased toward Canon/Nikon. It is understandable why - their (C/N) fans form wast majority of photoshooters population. Plus from my observation while Nikon fans usually OK, Canon ones got virtually no tolerance to other brands (well, as any generalization it is not necessarily always true :-) ). So IMHO this "poor JPG performance" was justmade up - everybody know that RAW better and all camera have similar problem at certain degree. They (DPR) could not say that *istDS "Highly Recommended", because it became no worse that 300D/D70! If DPR would rated *istDS "No worse than 300D", imagine what would happens then in Canon camp with their "Canon superior to anything else" attitude!!! So forgive them and happy shooting! :|
I wondered as much (or perhapsI'm feeling a tad paranoid), but then I never been one to to follow thecrowd preferring to make my own mind up.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:15 PM   #6

I took this with my DS and find it to be very sharp with no post processing which is why I find it difficult to understand reviewers claiming it takes soft images!
http://www.computerartscompany.com/GreyOwl_Sm.jpg
Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:04 PM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I took this with my DS and find it to be very sharp with no post processing which is why I find it difficult to understand reviewers claiming it takes soft images!
http://www.computerartscompany.com/GreyOwl_Sm.jpg
Tom
That's a terrific shot of the owl.

All dSRLs will produce softerimages with less contrast - it's a fact - but that's not a bad thing. It leaves us the end user to determine exactly what - if anything - needs to be done to improve the image - or not as the case might be.

If you're happy with the result straight out of the camera, then that's fine - it's not for me or anyone to say it's wrong.

If you like a slightly sharper result then applya bit of UnsharpMask in Photoshop - adjusting the histogram to darken it slightly can also emphasis the detail.
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:04 AM   #8

I've only read one review that says it has soft images and that is Phil's and since reading the glowing, couldn't do anything wrong, review of the 350d I believe he is definately biased towards Canon, intentional or not.

Interestingly Popular photography and Imaging did a jpeg resolution test comparing the D70, DS and 300d, I am not sure if they used camera jpegs or RAW converted to JPEG, it didn't say but either way the results for the DS at least didn't match Phil's results...

*ist DS: (1575Vx1450Hx1575D)
300D: (1510Vx1440Hx1450D)
D70: (1460Vx1520Hx1480D)

food for thought!!!

You always have to take reviews with a grain of salt, no one is unbiased, no matter how fair they want to be, we all have some degree of personal bias...
joele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:21 AM   #9

Just read the Rebel XT review at DPR - not a single comparison of JPEG against RAW as performed against the *istDS & couldn't even see a comparison of the XT against the *istDS. Not even a side by side view for comparison - the *istDS was compared against the Canon Rebel & Nikon D70.

Hardly unbiased IMHO.

From the side by side comparison of the *istDS & Rebel XT, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:24 AM   #10
KSV

joele wrote:
Quote:
...we all have some degree of personal bias...
It is true. But when I am biased (of course I am! Otherwise I would choose another camera! :-) ) this is one story, but with Phil (i.e. DPR) it somewhat different. It does not bother me what Phil (or whoever else) thinks about *istDS - I know that camera is good indeed, but what is pity that such "unbiased" reviews will put off many potentially byers, witch means that Pentax will lost his shares and could go forever. Well at the end of the and it would be Pentax fault - I love everything in this company except marketing...
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote