Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1

I have a ten day trial period to see if this is the DSLR for me. I love the feel and the intuitive controls. I will admit that the kit lens is good but shows some distortion at its widest angle. The colors are excellent and the sharpness is very good.

I tooka trip to Chicago for the day and took some pictures and this is the first that I am posting. I find that using iso 3200 is even better that I expected since I am used to having it on my Pana FZ cameras. I love my FZ's itsjust that they can't do low light and low light action. I am hoping that with the right lens and also understanding more as to what I am doing with this camera that I can achieve the results I am after.

I have nine more days to decide if I want to keep this or get my money back.

Thanks,

Tom

I left the camera in auto settings and changed nothing except the iso when I took indoor shots.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:41 PM   #2

another
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:42 PM   #3

one more
Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:43 PM   #4

last one
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:30 AM   #5

Congrats Tom. I didn't know you were going Pentax. The shots look good. Nice colors and detail. The last one shows what DOF does. The front flower is focused, but it drops off fast even at f8. Post some and let us know what you think of the camera. Mahalo
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:36 AM   #6

Is it just me, or does everyone have trouble photgraphing red flowers. I find you cant see any details or anything on them - its as if they are just flat shaded red.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7

I did this in automode only. I did nothing else. Hence, I probably did not do what the camera can do if I used the macro setting. Also, this is the kit lens which is not the best to do this kind of shooting in my opinion. It is a basic lens that is sharp but has limitations on both ends of the spectrum.

Mahalo,

Tom

Yeah nooner,

I decided on the Pentax since it uses same CCD that the Nikon D70 uses. The fact it is smaller and I have SD cards and it uses NiMh batteries which I already have it was an easy choice. Also, it goes up to 3200 iso. I will post more and it looks like a keeper to me. Now it is about the lenses. Oh man, did I pick the wrong hobby. Well like I told my friends you have a motorcycle and/or a boat. I don't. What's your point? LoL.

They won't hesitate to try and ask if they can borrow them though. Ummm?? Nope.

Mahalo,

Tom
Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:51 PM   #8

Nice pictures. I am still not able to decide which to get, the D70 or the *ist DS. I compared them both in the store. Maybe someone here can answer me two questions. One, is the autofocus in the *ist DS slow? It seemed slow in the store but I am not sure why.Two, how are the pictures at higher iso's.Like takingthem us people inside the house. We take a lot of candid shots of the kidsinside and they are so quick and the rooms are not exactly well lit.

Thanks.

Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:17 AM   #9

a great thing about the ist is it supports 40 years of lenses. if you need lowlight lens go to ebay and pick up a 50mm, f1.2 for <$50 and you are set. you'll probably have to focus it yourself tho.. perish the thought. lol
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:56 AM   #10

great shots! Love the blue sky. What lens are you using? Did you have converging lines with the first pic? Keep up the great work, and enjoy the camera!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote