Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:23 AM   #1

Hi Guys, i just got the ist ds.

Is there a trick to setting the white balance manually? i follow the instructions in the booklet, but no luck.

i press FN, arrow over to WB, choose MANUAL, then you're supposed to Arrow (right).

...but when i do this...it just brings me back to camera-shoot mode. it never comes up with the message to point at something white.

am i doing something wrong? perhaps it only works in certain modes?!
dogonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:30 PM   #2

I just got mine as well and I am not sure which functions it does not work on since I guess the other modes are "auto" but it will work as stated in the manual which is not the best in explaining which mode does or does not work..

Still testing it out but don't have the time I wish I had..

I almost thought to take the camera back since it was not working..

I am not sure which mode I chose but it worked..
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:05 PM   #3
KSV

I have not experimenting with all modes, but mine definitely works (and deliver better results BTW) with MWB. But I am mostly use AV mode, so have a try in this mode first. I would use MWB in all situation if it would be somewhat less cumbersome. And everybody already agreed that manual could be better written - thank goodness *istDS virtually does not require one :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:34 PM   #4

thanks for the replies, guys.

shortly after posting..i went into one of the "non-Auto" modes and i could set the white balance manually.

its too bad that it doesnt work in auto mode. i dont understand why, because you can change the WB to any of the presets.
dogonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:46 PM   #5
KSV

Many settings in *istDS locked for auto mode - I think that is because Pentax like to make newbies life as easy as possible and automode bullet proof. I personally have no problem with that, because use only AV, TV, and M mode - exactly inthis priority :|
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote