Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:45 PM   #1
wll

It has been announced that Pentax is discontinuing most of their FA lenses and all of their A's. I for one think it is a wise choice. I think they will end up a "Digital Only Company" and make their lenses to match.

It has been announced that there are some primes coming and there will be some more quality zooms. Along with this I'm sure they will replace the istD with a higher grade model.

All those who are in fear of Pentax going under I believe you have nothing to fear. I think next year 2006 will be a "new start" for this company, and I for one think great things will happen.

Pentax was once a very big name in the industry and I think they again will rise up, not by fancy advertising but by making quality products. Their line up will not be as big as Canon or Nikon but it will end up more than enough for most photographers. The quality will be right there, as it is now with the two digitals they now have.

Before I bought my istDs I examined all the ~ $1000-$1400 cameras. The Canon 300 and 350 were not made well IMHO, plus the 350 did not fit my hands well (grip too close to body). The Nikon D70 was very nice and I almost bought it. The Canon 20D is superb, but it is a big camera, and it is huge with a battery pack attached. The istD was the best, but as I understand they are no longer making this camera. The istDs was well built, small, and filled the bill for now.

I went with the istDs because I needed a good DSLR for some of my work and the fact that I have faith the Pentax will come out with a replacement for the istD, and that I will get.

I so far have been more than happy with this little camera, the quality of the body, the ease of operation and the quality of the photographs.

We will see what tomorrow brings ......

Just my 2 cents,

wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:20 PM   #2

Wil:
Just curious where you heard Pentax is going to discontinue the FA and A series lenses ? Why would they discontinue them, especially the FA series?Everything I've seen indicate the FA series (particularly the Limiteds) include some of the best glass you can get your hands on!
I Do agree that if they continue to build products as great as the *istDS, they will eventually (Soon, I hope!) get back to something approaching their glory days. Maybe we'll see the day soon when Instead of just C and N, it'll be C.N and P as the big 3! wouldn't that be nice?
Rob "MacDaddy" White
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3
wll

I heard that on another digi cam web sight (dpreview), I also heard it before that, but I can't remember where.

Yes, they are keeping the limiteds and adding to them (I read that in an interview with the president of Pentax), but most of their lenses they are going to change, and make more compact. As far as I'm concerned I don't need lots, just quality to fill the main focal lengths.

I'm sure they will have a some consumer grade in the mix also.

I would assume that there better lenses may not be as fast as Canon or Nikon to keep the size and cost down, I just hope they stay at least in the F3.5 to F4 range.

My Tamron 28-300 at f6.3 can be a problem, so 5.6 at 300 is the max I would like to see.

A 24-150 F2.8 or even F3.5 would fit the bill very nicly thank you !!!!!

wll
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:22 AM   #4

I just went through the thread at DPreview's forum on these lenses and all I can say is..so what? i agree with your assessment that Pentax needs to move on and build up a solid, NEW base of quality lenses based on the market realities that 90+% of all new camera sales are to the digital marketplace and, therefore, require newly-designed lenses to meet that market!
They already have a DA 40mm prime Limited (I ordered it today) and have announced the availability of a total of 6 new DA series lenses since January. (And I've confirmed shipment on all, including the new 50-200mm at KEH and other retailers by the end of May-THIS YEAR!)
My experience the last 10 years supporting some of the top 5 Ad agencies in the world shows most pro shops are moving to a 100% digital workflow in EVERYTHING. If Pentax reads this right, they'll ride that wave back to a better position financially AND professionally with their equipment. Call me naive, but I would NOT have made the financial committment to this company if I felt there was even a 1% chance they'd leave me high and dry sometime in the next 3 years.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:48 AM   #5
wll

Macdaddy,

I, like you, am glad I made the Pentax choice. Now all I can do is wait and see.

wll
Old May 21, 2005, 10:20 PM   #6

wll and macdaddy,

I've been with Pentax since April 1995. The ZX5, ZX5N, MZS-Pro and a small group of lenses make up my kit. I just received my *istDS in the mail. After 10 years of catching flak from my Nikon and Canon-toting colleagues -they're suddenly silent....

Pentax going all-digital and streamlining their operation is a good move. Engaging the pro- DSLR market soon with a 'one-two-punch'12 mega-pixel MZS-Dand an 18 megapixel LX-D - would be a better move.

Pentax has proven they know how to build great cameras. Their positioning and marketing strategy? - We will just have to wait and see.
upnatem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:34 AM   #7

Just to throw in a different side to the conversation.

I don't think that going with the digital lenses, at least half frame sensor lenses is that great an idea. If Pentax does progress like we hope it will, they will surely go to a larger sensor and that will be a problem for the half frame lenses.

I also still use film quite a bit and will not purchase a high dollar lens that won't work correctly on my film cameras. I do have the kit lens, but that was just to get a true wide angle for my DS.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:41 AM   #8
wll

ennacac,

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that Pentax is going to do a total revamp of their whole product line as they see digital IS THE FUTURE.

I had ME super that I just sold along with its winder. The camera store that bought it, only bought it because I was buying other stuff there. The told me that they would have a very tough time getting rid of it asvery, very few peoplewant film cameras.

I spoke to the Pentax and Nikon reps when they were there for a big promo and they said almost all there sales were digital, pro and consumer.

The cases ofIN NEW CONDITIONused film bodies points this out. The only film bodies I see are the Leica's and they are in deep financial trouble.

When digital fixes the dynamic rangeso ithas the latitude that film does, I feel it will be 99.9 % over for film. Film will always be around but it will be more of a specialized medium.

My product brochure was shot using a digital backed hassy and it is incredible. The same photographer that shot the brochure also shot some stuff for a trade magazine for my company. When the trade mag recieved the images they called and said that these images had more detail then ANY OTHER PHOTO THEY EVER HAD AT THAT PUBLICATION.

These are just my musings, but I don't think I'm wrong, time will tell (and not to much time), as digital has been moving very quickly.

wll
Old May 22, 2005, 9:19 AM   #9

I don't disagree with your assessment of digital, although I still don't like the digital look compared to film. It really doesn't have anything to do with latatude, but the smoothing digital look compared to the look film gives.

My point was that the current digital lenses manufactured to work with the half frame sensor are not a good policy for the long run.

When Pentax goes to a larger sensor, be it 3/4 or full size to get more pixels in the final image, the present half frame lenses will become orphans.

One other point is that when I use a film lens on my DS I am using the sweet spot on the lens, where everything is at its sharpest. The outer edges of a lens have always been softer than the center no matter how sharp the lens is and with film based lenses (or full size sensor lenses) you get the use of the center only and don't have to deal with the soft edges.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:17 PM   #10
wll

I do understand, and yes digital does not have the feel of film, but maybe someday, but not yet.

wll