Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:26 AM   #1

I was looking at the diffrent sample images of the istd and compering them with the Nikon d70, and the pentax images do not look as sharp as the nikon ones, Could it be the lens ? Is there a way to adjust the sharpness of the image inside the camera ? So that i dont have to go to photoshop to adjust the sharpness ?

I like the Ist ds Size and i also have 2 K lenses from a pentax super me Lying around.

Thanks for any help !
xalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:23 PM   #2

Are you comparing like with like i.e. a similar specification lens on both cameras.

I've taken sample shots with Nikon D70 using a Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED & was somewhat disappointed with the results.

Both Pentax *istDS& Nikon D70use the same CCD. Image processing is obviously different but the RAW image from both give lens of similar quality, most be of similar quality - but then I'm no expert & I'm biased 'case I like my *istDS.

dSRL cameras do not by design take images straight out of the camera that are as immediately pleasing as P&S cameras. There's an anti aliasing filter in front of the CCd which softens the image.

The image quality is left unprocessed on dSRLs to allow the end user to make whatever adjustments that are considered necessary to achieve what the individual wants which will vary from user to user.

It took some time for me 'to get my head around' this as for the added expense of dSRL, on the face of it, you get an inferior image - no so.

The *istDS does have adjustment over sharpness, contrast, saturation - by default the Image Tone is set to BRIGHT producing images that are bright, higher contrast & sharp.

I'm not sure what effect the other settings have as I've left them at mid point but I believe in Steve's review he suggested that the Sharpness adjustment made little difference.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:06 PM   #3

Id say its the lens.

But if you find your pictures need a little sharpening give them an unsharp mask in photoshop. The settings i usually use (cant remember the names off the top of my head) Is the top slider quite high, the middle one (radius?) To about 1 or 1.65 px depending on image and the last slider i think set to 0. Works most of the time.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:15 PM   #4

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Id say its the lens.

But if you find your pictures need a little sharpening give them an unsharp mask in photoshop. The settings i usually use (cant remember the names off the top of my head) Is the top slider quite high, the middle one (radius?) To about 1 or 1.65 px depending on image and the last slider i think set to 0. Works most of the time.
you might want to try a setting of 20, 30-50, 0. watch your highlights tho. also sharpening with the high pass filter gives good results. play with the blending modes.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:10 PM   #5

thanks For the reply Guys, yes, I downloaded some pictues from steves istds gallery and i adjuted them in CS until crystal clear. After those adjustments i made the image quality was Outstanding. I was just wondering if i coun Crank up the sharpness from inside the camera to reduce or eliminate the post processing time. But i know that the camera does support that. Have you guys played around with the sharpening of the camera ?

- two small question :

a---With the istds, Is it possible to also use the back screen as a regular digicam, and compose the picture to take a shot. Or do i always have to use the viewfinder ?

b---When shooting raw does the camera also shoots a jpeg at the same time for viewing on the camera screen ?

Thanks guys !
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:58 AM   #6

xalex1 wrote:
Quote:
a---With the istds, Is it possible to also use the back screen as a regular digicam, and compose the picture to take a shot. Or do i always have to use the viewfinder ?

b---When shooting raw does the camera also shoots a jpeg at the same time for viewing on the camera screen ?
No to both.

You could download the manual from the Pentax site & read all about what the camera can & can't do.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:15 AM   #7
KSV

xalex1 wrote:
Quote:

a - no one DSLR would. All SLR have mirror inside and change course of light from sensor to viewfinder (hey, this is why we like them :-) ). Plus using LCD rather then viewfinder IMHO wrong practice anyway because in such a way camera became less stable and therefore pix more likely became blurry. This related to all (not only DSLR) cameras

b - no, but some camera does - I think cheapest would be 350D. I miss this feature greatly - mainly I shoot in JPEG (just too bloody lazy :G) but from time to time I would like to fix my pix and having RAW for this purpose would be huge advantage. You still can preview RAW on LCD.

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:16 AM   #8
KSV

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
xalex1 wrote:
Quote:

No to both.

You could download the manual from the Pentax site & read all about what the camera can & can't do.
Sorry - have not seen your message :lol:
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:41 AM   #9

KSV wrote:
Quote:
Sorry - have not seen your message :lol:
Hi KSV

Your reply was much more informative - mine aired upon brevity.

I don't now how many prospective purchasersbother download the user guide, but I have always done so as it provides the best possible guide even as a precursor to trying the camera in the shop.

One thing about the Pentax *ist DS User Guide that annoyed me was that if is a protected PDF file which while it allows you to view it, it want let you print it. When I spoke the Pentax they appeared NOT to know & promised to mail me a copy, which they NEVER did. Incidentally, has anyone ever managed to get a reply by email from Pentax - I haven't. Pentax could certainly learn a few things and improve their customer support.

PDF Password Remover v2.2 will allow you to remove the protection to print half the document; purchase of the product is required to unlock th whole document.

I have a fully UNLOCKED User Guide should anyone wish to request this.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:51 PM   #10

Thanks for the info guys ! , Cool so at least you can view a preview of what the photos looks like. Thats the only reason i thought about the raw+jpeg feature, i thought you needed to have a jpeg format also to see it on the camera screen.

Thanks !

Greatly apreciate the Info