Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:03 PM   #1

With my old camera (Canon A40) I can half press the shuttle release, both the focus and exposure are then locked while I move my camera to compose. That way I can easily set the exposure and then recomopse the picture, ensuring the main object gets the correct exposure.

How do I do that with istDS? It seems half pressing the shuttle release only locks the focus. What does linking AE and AF exacly do?
gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:41 PM   #2
KSV

gwei wrote:
Quote:
How do I do that with istDS? It seems half pressing the shuttle release only locks the focus. What does linking AE and AF exacly do?
It is correct for default settings. There is custom function witch allow lock AE when AF locked.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:07 AM   #3

Thanks KSV for your reply. I set linking AE and AF through Customer setup. But it seems when I move the camera with shuttle release half pressed the numbers in the view finder still keep changing.

Is it meant to be like that?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:31 AM   #4
KSV

I am so often get confuse by myself witch custom settings make effect in witch modes :?. In pictures modes lots of custom settings make no effect - I think Pentax done this deliberately to make bullet proof picture settings. Try it in "normal" mode - such as AV or TV

Cheers
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:48 AM   #5

Silly me, I just found the AE-L button isright there underneath my thum designed for locking exposure, so handy!

Also in the customer functions, it's not linking AF and AE, it's set AE-L when AF locked that does the trick.

So there are at least two ways to lock AE.

Old May 3, 2005, 5:10 PM   #6

I love these silly questions! I've also wondered why when I press the shutter button half way it doesn't lock, so I figured it just doesn't work on the ist D camera and forget about it.

Well, I just tried the AE-L button and it works.. Thanks

Shirley

scurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 4:36 PM   #7

When you've moved up from a P&S Prosumer where AE is locked with the shutter, it's second nature to believe that the *istDS behaves in the same way - even though you've read the manual and deliberately left AE unlocked with AF.

To avoid underexposure problems which I had encountered as result of the default AE setting, I've set AE to lock with AF. If I want to composes a shot where the exposure will be different to the focus point, then I lock the exposure at the desired point using AE lock & then re-focus as appropriate.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 1:13 AM   #8

Sounds a good practice. I'll try that too. thanks.