Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 1, 2005, 1:04 PM   #1

Can I clarify the operation of the "Auto ISO" function on the iSt DS (I've downloaded the manual as it's #1 on my shortlist.)

If I set it to "Auto" it will auto range within the parameter I allow (up to 1600 or 3200) correct ?.

If I then set "sensitivity" warning to 400 will I get viewfinder confirmation of what the camera haschosen on auto ?

Can I overide manually then using Fn > ?

I know I can play with it in the shop beofre finally committing my £ but it's a Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK and I'm an impatient so& so.

cheers
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2

Auto ISO only appears to function in 'Moving Object' Mode - according to Pentax Technical Department.

The ISO warning ONLY functions when the ISO setting is manually set to the warning level or higher - it does NOT function with Auto ISO.

Using Fn sets the default ISO level.

I found that in Tv mode, the ISO rating would change but only once the exposure had gone to the bottom limit under extreme low light.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:35 AM   #3

Cheers - Now I'm more confused.

Are you saying that pretty much you have a manual ISO system that can be set to give a viewfinder warning above a threshold that the user sets.

thanks
Old May 2, 2005, 5:50 AM   #4

Let's ignore Auto ISO as it only appears to workin 'Moving Object' Mode for the moment.

Ifthe ISO warning is set to 800, then using the Fn button to set the ISO at 200 or 400 will NOT result in the warning being displayed in the viewfinder. When Fn is used, in this example, to set the ISO to 800 or higher, then the ISO warning is displayed.

If Auto ISO is used, then there is NO ISO warning in the viewfinder even when the ISO rating exceeds800.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:01 AM   #5

Perhaps Moving Object is the only Picture Mode that Auto ISO works with, but on my Ds it definitely works in Av and Tv modes, and I would presume P and M modes as well. I have never used the ISO Warning, so can't help ypu there.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:54 PM   #6

The manual states that the auto ISO will not work when set to M and B modes, the flash is discharged, Auto bracketing and EV compensation is set. (top of pg 116 of the manual). I've been able to get auto ISO to work in many instances when the light levels got to low.

As for the ISO warning it will not display if the ISO was changed by the Auto ISO feature (this is noted at the bottom of page 116).

I found it best to just disable the auto ISO and set it when I feel I need it.

By the way, the best thing I've found is to download the manual from Pentax's website and use Acrobat Reader to search for the terms and features I'm looking for - that's how I found the page numbers I mentioned above - it's not like I memorized the manual or anything... :?
geiim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 1:14 AM   #7

geiim wrote:
Quote:
By the way, the best thing I've found is to download the manual from Pentax's website and use Acrobat Reader to search for the terms and features I'm looking for - that's how I found the page numbers I mentioned above - it's not like I memorized the manual or anything.
The PDF file is protected, so you won't be able to print it. Use PDF Password Remover v2.2 to remove the protection to print half the document; purchase of the product is required to unlock th whole document.

I have a fully UNLOCKED User Guide should anyone wish to request this.
Old May 4, 2005, 1:14 PM   #8

Didn't know that but don't really have a need for that as I have a printed manual.

Still the PDF is handy for searching for a particular feature.
geiim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:29 PM   #9

To be honest that's why I asked the question. I downloaded the manualto answer my own questions but I ended upmore confused - perhaps I'm just "hard of thinking".

It'll make more sense with the camera in my hands- which will be sooner now as my Dimage 7i has just sold on eBay with a "Buy it Now" so I don't even need to wait until Sunday :-)