Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2005, 1:27 PM   #1

Hello All,

I am going to be getting the *ist DS in a couple of days and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with taking very low light pictures using this camera. For example I want to take pictures in a night club where the light is constantly changing and I want to take some pictures without a flash to get the full effect of the club lighting. If anyone does have experience and have some samples of the images that you have taken can you also post the link to them for viewing please?

Thanks in advance to all replies.

Bob

:|
seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 2:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Bob:

I haven't seen any photos in a club environment from a Pentax *ist DS yet (but, I'm sure some are around).

I'd suggest getting a bright lens to go with your camera for this use (club lighting without using a flash). Checking some vendors, it looks like Pentax has a bright prime that may be a good choice (PentaxSMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus), but it's back ordered everywhere.

A bright prime is probably a better way to go (using your feet for zoom), so you can get faster shutter speeds in an environment like this, since brighter lenses are available in primes (f/2.0, f/1.8, f/1.4, etc.) compared to zooms (where the brightest zoom lens usually has a largest available aperture of around f/2.8 ).

Maybe some Pentax owners can give you some lens tips for this use.

Keep in mind that your Depth of Field is going to be quite shallow at larger apertures. But, you will probably need to shoot that way to help prevent motion blur from subject movement. You might be able to get away with a zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture. But, I'd be inclined to go with something brighter to increase your number of keepers without too much motion blur.

You'll also need to shoot at higher ISO speeds. So, you'll want to use Noise Reduction tools later to help the images appearance.

Some popular products are Neat Image , Noiseware , and Noise Ninja

Hopefully, some Pentax owners will see your post and respond with some better tips and advise.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3
KSV

Do not spend much time in night clubs, but can give an example flasless shoot in cave
Attached Images

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:42 PM   #4

i agree w/jim. get a 50mm, f1.4 prime or a f1.2 . plenty of light gathering. i haven't used my m50,1.4 with the ds but with the MX i got a lot of great nightclub shots when i lived in new orleans. one benefit is on the ist it'll be a f1.4 , 75mm. i got rel good results with iso400 film. if you wanted more reach then get a GOOD 1.4x converter. you'd loose 1 stop but hey it'd be a pretty fast 105 f2.. hope i did the math right..

i've used the at iso800 and it's pretty clean as far as noise goes. pentax did a good job here.
Old May 4, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5

well i forgot to say that if i were you or me i wouldn't worry at all if it was auto focus because in a night club you will probably have trouble w/autofocus in the lighting conditions.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys.

Well I picked it up today and I am going to my club tomorrow for

Cinco De Mayo and will take some pictures. If they work out I will post them

here and share them.

Bob
seashore is offline   Reply With Quote