Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

Here's my mental struggle...maybe some of you with experience can advise me?

I have had several film SLRs (mostly Pentax ME Super, Sf1n, etc.) over the years and really enjoy taking pictures. I also am a computer hobbyist, so my natural iniclination was to gravitate toward digital photography.

1MP HP c200 was my first and I quickly realized that resolution was way inferior, plus shutter lag, etc kept me from really using/enjoying it. I waited several years and got 4.1MP HP 850. It had decent zoom and through the lens type viewfinder. Resolution seems to be adequate for most of my shots, but the electronic viewfinder is sluggish and impossible to use on moving subject. Still, I use it often and fill in with film when necessary (which I scan on Nikon CoolScan IV).

Now my question. If I invest in the *istDs, will it become a true replacement for my film camera, or will I still have subjects better photographed on film? By the way, I had to replace my Sf1n last year and got the film version of *ist. I see a gadget bag with one set of lenses and 2 bodies with similar look/feel - one film and one digital.

Will I ultimately be disappointed in the digital world short of a $4k professional rig?

Any insight from this group will be welcomed.

Thanks
rar2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 3:31 PM   #2

first part of your post could be my bio. been hook on pentax 27years.

NO YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!

remember waiting on those proofs.. writing down your exif info. i'm NEVER going back.

let others rant and rave about digital vs film

i'm never going back.

roy
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2005, 3:36 PM   #3

that's the kit lens. sharp as a tack at 11x14

this ones with a 1987, sigma 75-300 .. both sharp at a tack at 8x10.

i'm never going back(think i said that)

remember calibrating that flash, REMEMBER WAITING!!

i'm never going back..

Attached Images

Old May 13, 2005, 3:40 PM   #4

IMHO: I think you will be quite pleased with the results of the current DSLR's.
The results are excellent, immidiate, and no film costs so you tend to shoot more.

You will just need more time and disk space :-).

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:48 PM   #5

Thanks to you both for the thoughts...and nice shots Roy.

Now if I can convince my wife that it's worth it...?

Good weekend to all.
rar2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:55 PM   #6
wll

robar,

I agree, I WILL NEVER GO BACK, the thought of going thru all I used to go thru, and now I have surburb images right away and prints that can rival the best labs. For me film is over.

And to top it off, digital is just a baby, can you think of what it will be like in a few short years !!!!!

wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 4:58 PM   #7

My "justification" came from film usage, which for me was 2500$cdn-3000$cdn a year in film stock and developing. So one years supply paid for the camera and all the addons I managed to buy. :-).

rar2667 wrote:
Quote:
Now if I can convince my wife that it's worth it...?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 8:43 PM   #8

I still use both, although I use the DS more because it is handy and doesn't cost me anything to shoot a lot of images.

Some images though are better shot on film, especially medium format Velvia slides.

They will just take your breath away on a light table!!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 10:43 PM   #9
daz

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
IMHO: I think you will be quite pleased with the results of the current DSLR's.
The results are excellent, immidiate, and no film costs so you tend to shoot more.

You need to have a computer to use a DSLR (most people do now). With the computer you get a digital dark room. This allows you to do more at less cost. You also have a faster learning loop (you don't have to wait to get the photos back) so you can learn faster. Or maybe we just take more photos.:?

DAZ.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:47 AM   #10

medium format is great. think pentax is coming out w/a digital cam soon. 16meg , but i haven't shot w/that in forever. sometimes w/the ist at full screen the ist is also breath taking.

best thing is, if it fit your older cam(since the 60s) it'll work on the ist. even the 6x7 lenses will work.

roy