Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2005, 8:25 PM   #1

I made a mistake of posting this initially in the Pentax digital forum. I'm thinking of getting the ist*Ds for my first dslr. I can get the body only and since I may also need the zoom eventually, the supplier here is offering this lens for about $480. So what do you guys think? Is this worth it or is there a better alternative? What about the 18-55mm kit lens? ($200). I know I can buy these lenses cheaper on line but I try to avoid making online purchases with items like these.:?
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 11:29 PM   #2

If it is the Pentax SMC-FA Zoom 28-200/3,8-5,6 AL (IF) lens it is a poor preformer. The 18-55mm kit lens can be had for $100 not $200 and is not too bad a lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 4:06 AM   #3

The results that I've had with the kit lens are most satisfactory, but then I'm comparing against the Fuji S602 which was my previous camera.

I would add that straight out the camera the shots appear soft which is corrected by using USM in Photoshop.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4

Thanks Tom. If I opted for body only, what would be a good alternative all around lens (preferrably with more zoom say 28-100)?

Nols
Old May 19, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

Thanks Catbells. Regarding the softness, would it be better to apply in camera adjustments (for contrast, sharpness, color, EV) or just work with the RAW in Photoshop?

Nols
Old May 20, 2005, 11:17 PM   #6

The problem with not getting the kit lens is that due to the crop factor using film lenses on the DS you will loose your wide angle capability. A 28mm film lens looks like a 50mm would on a film camera with the area it covers in the final image.

That is why I got the kit lens and it is a pretty good lens, especially for $100.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:32 AM   #7

Thanks Tom. I think you've convinced me. I'll just get the kit lens from the supplier and save up for a better zoom lens later.

Nols