Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2005, 6:48 AM   #1

i took a body cap and drilled a hole in it. then epoxied a ring to it to be able to attach my lens to the body in a reversed configuration.
i had done this befor w/my fuji but the problem was i had to use a 2 lens setup and working distance was about 3/4''. these were shot with just a smc-m, 50mm, f1.4 at f16, iso200, auto flash. the working distance w/one lens(50mm) is about 4'' and lets me utilize my af400tz flash. here's a couple of shots.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2005, 6:50 AM   #2

and another.
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2005, 10:16 AM   #3

Can you attach a picture of how you made this? Ive got a couple spare body caps and stuff. Nice pics btw
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:05 PM   #4

sure,

i can show you the finished product, but not the individual parts because they're already glued together.

first, i drilled a 1 1/2'' hole in the body cap. be CAREFUL if you are new at this. a 1'' should work.

second, i had an old rubber lens hood with very bad rubber so i pulled the rubber off and epoxied it to the cap. a step up or down ring is just as suitable. ust the thread diameter you need. you can alter this w/another ring to fit whatever size you need. i've got 3 primes at 49mm so that's what i used.
be SURE TO FACE THE CORRECT THREADS outward. for this you want the male thread pointing out so you can put it on the front of your lens.

third, took pix after epoxy cures overnight. pentax lenses i have stop down to their listed aperture, some makers don't. if yours doesn't you will have to find some way to stop the lens down when shooting. i shoot at f16-22 and it's pretty dim when trying to focus. you'll get better. i got 4 out of twenty the first shoot. i'm using an auto af400ftz flash at 1/180 sec. with a diffuser mede from the bottom of a suppliment bottle. post pix when you are done.

roy

the coin shots were taken w/a 28,f2.8. it's a lot closer and has a lot more magnification.

roy
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2005, 8:32 AM   #5

forgot to say that you need to use the twist in type of cap. not the push in type.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6

Yes i have 3 caps that have a k-mount lens type thing at the bottom they fit on the camera body when no lens on. Im guessing thats what you used?

I guess ill have to use one of my manual lens though because my digital ones dont have an apeture ring and i wont be able to stop them down

Anyway, ill have a crack at it tomorow some stage see how I go.

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 4:02 PM   #7

Question: Why not just get a metal reversing ring made for this? I think I spent maybe $5 on mine on eBay - works great!
zerotonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 10:14 PM   #8

zerotonine wrote:
Quote:
Question: Why not just get a metal reversing ring made for this? I think I spent maybe $5 on mine on eBay - works great!
post some pix??

cheapest i've seen on ebay is about $20, delivered.

post some pix or did you waste your $5 ??
Old May 23, 2005, 12:14 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
zerotonine wrote:
Quote:
post some pix??

cheapest i've seen on ebay is about $20, delivered.

post some pix or did you waste your $5 ??
I'd be happy to! I just looked it up, I spent $5.25 delivered! You can still find deals on eBay - sometimes~Here'smy setup:

I actually did what you made first - sort of.After I got the reversing ring I was concerned about the (now) exposed rear element of thereversed lens. So I cut out the center of a rear lens cap to make a "hood" of sorts. (BTW, this would be the way to enable stop down on some maker's lenses like Canon? I think)Works fine, but then I came across a strange Pentax-K to JVC video camera adapter (VERY strange!) for just afew bucks also, so I just use that now as it's all metal and looks real clean. It's what's pictured in one of the attachments.

Attached Images

Old May 23, 2005, 12:15 AM   #10

I guess it's just one attachment / post .. sorry~
Attached Images