Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2005, 8:04 PM   #1

Am I the only person who cannot get the Pentax Photo Browser to work?

It came with the excellent *istDS, and installed onto my Windows 2000 PC with no problem. The browser opens OK, but most of the icons on the tool bar and drop down menus are greyed out, so I cannot open any files or folders.

I have tried re-installing on different Hard Drives, and have upgraded to v2.11, but the problem persists.

However, if I double click a Raw Pentax PEF file (in a system window) it opens the browser and displays the image view pane, BUT ... the browser & Photo Lab still do not function. No thumbnails are displayed, and most of the tools are still greyed out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Superbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

I don't have any problems with the Photo Browser; however, I have the same problem with Photo Laboratory. I have PhotoShop elements 3.0, so I really don't need to use either of these two programs. My OS is Windows XP Professional.

I would try uninstalling both programs and then reinstalling them. Reboot the PC after the uninstall and before the reinstall, even if you are not prompted to do so by the operating system. Reinstalling a program can sometimes resolve a lot of issues.
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 12:35 AM   #3

Thanks, but I have uninstalled & rebooted several times, and in different drives & folders, including the default folder. I have also de-activeted all running programs, including Norton Anti-virus.

Nothing seems to work. It's odd that double-clicking a PEF file almost works. It opens the browser and then the viewer pane in a separate window. The viewer pane does work, but the browser and Photo Lab do not function.
Old May 29, 2005, 5:37 PM   #4

Try this: open Photo Browser and under the toolbar, at the right side of the address box, RIGHT click the arrow and put a check in the box next to "Folder tree." In the pane that comes up, Left click on a folder that contains raw images and the thumbnailsshould display. Double click an image and a large version will display; single click and the preview image and exif data will display.

Now, LEFT click a thumbnail (or control click several) and click on the lab icon , and Photo Lab will open and display the selected image(s) for processing and conversion to jpeg.

Hope this helps,

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 8:18 PM   #5

Thanks Lou

I can switch the folder pane (and others) on & off, but I can't select any folders or get anything to appear in the panes.

Here is a small screenshot to show what I have. The icons under the drop down menu are also greyed out.
Attached Images

Old May 30, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6

A couple of things to try:

Click the "restore down" icon at upper right of the window, then drag the right side over to display the full width of the window and then maximize again. You'll see the tool icon (or go under the tool menu), and choose OPTIONS. In the options box select "always start with this folder" and navigate to a floder that contains PEF files,then close and restart the program. Hopefully, the folder will appear in the folder tree pane and you can select images from there.

Then, reset the folder options however you prefer.

Good luck,

Lou
Old May 30, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7

Thanks again Lou, but I have tried that. I can access the options from the drop down menu, and can change all the settings, but nothing seems to revive those dead icons.

I'm wondering if another program is conflicting with the browser, but I have tried closing everything down. The PEF files are associated with the browser, and will open in the separate viewing pane, when double clicked, but the browser behind the viewing pane is still blanked out, even if I click "view browser" from the viewing pane drop down menu (File/View Browser). Everthing works in the viewing pane, but I just can't get the browser or Photo Lab to work.

I will try writing to Pentax, but will be surprised if I receive a positive response. I'm sure I can't be the only person with this problem.
Old May 30, 2005, 5:37 PM   #8

Try checking at this forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1036

Search the archive, or register and post the question directly. Seems to be many more Pentax users there. I'm out of ideas.

Lou
Old May 30, 2005, 11:10 PM   #9

Thanks again. They certainly do have a lot more posts. I couldn't find anyone with the same problem, which seems very odd.

I've written to Pentax UK, so will wait to see if they have an answer, before I post my query on the other forum.

I don't really need the browser, as I prefer ACDsee, but I would like to try PhotoLab to see the difference between JPEGs & RAW files. Personally, I am more than happy with the quality of the JPEG files. Here's another piccy from this evening.
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2005, 7:30 AM   #10

If you just want to try RAW processing, then I suggest the free converter Raw Shooter Essentials. It's much nicer than Photo Lab. Available here:

http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html